walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Weekend (Sunday)

Glen Lyon Weekend (Sunday)

Postby Yorjick » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 07/05/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1066m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The previous day had been a long day, not arriving back at the bothy until around 10PM. It had taken a bit of effort but once the coal started to burn, it was a fantastic fire. I ate a late meal and watched the dancing flames of the fire before crawling into my sleeping bag a little after midnight. As expected, the next morning brought more fine weather and I arose at around 6AM. It is easy to get up early when the weather is so fine!

I was surprised by how light my pack felt now that the food had been eaten and any remaining water poured away. The three mile bike ride back to the car seemed almost effortless and with everything packed into the car, I was on my way to Glen Lyon.

DSCF3242.JPG
Secret bothy

I parked a short way beyond the track that heads up through the forest towards the first target of the day, Beinn Dearg. It does not appear to be a passing place so much as a space created by farm vehicles taking a wide turn into the gateway opposite. Not ideal but used it without any apparent issues. See the photo below.

DSCF3247.JPG
Parking

DSCF3248.JPG
Start

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Despite very tired legs from the previous day, I made good progress up through the trees with minimum effort. Reaching the open hillside that forms the southeast ridge of Beinn Dearg I became increasingly breathless and periodically stopped to regain my breath. Scattered around were numerous wood anemones (Anemone nemorosa). I believe these have an extensive distribution beyond woodlands.

DSCF3249.JPG
Anemone nemorosa

Despite screaming muscles and breathlessness, I was soon at the summit. My next objective, Carn Gorm, is visible in the background.

DSCF3257.JPG
Beinn Dearg

On the approach to Carn Gorm, looking back to Beinn Dearg, which seems relatively insignificant next to its Munro neighbour.

DSCF3261.JPG
Beinn Dearg

Approaching the summit of Carn Gorm (right). Meall Garbh and Carn Mairg to the left.

DSCF0121.JPG
Carn Gorm

As with the previous day, I was faffing about with my Gorillapod, trying to produce the right selfie when a human tripod arrived! :lol: Sitting on the toppled trig point of Carn Gorm - my third ascent of this Munro.

DSCF3263.JPG
Carn Gorm

DSCF0122.JPG
Looking across Glen Lyon towards the Ben Lawers group and the Tarmachan Ridge.

I dropped down to the burn (Cul a' Choirein) which I followed downwards back to the track leading through the forest.

DSCF3267.JPG
(L to R) are Meall nan Tarmachan, Stob Binnein, Ben More and Meall Ghaordaidh.

carn-gorm-pan.jpg
Topography chart

I should have taken the most direct route home through Tummel Bridge and Trinafour but got it into my head that it might be quicker heading towards the A9 at Pitlochry. Not only is this 20 miles longer but there was an accident at the junction to the House Of Bruar, resulting in delays and my arriving home a good hour later than I should have done. :roll:

....but what a fantastic weekend! One of the best....ever!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Glen Lyon Weekend (Sunday)

Postby BlackPanther » Fri May 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Interesting circuit, I never thought of combining Beinn Dearg and the Munro. We did a circuit of Cam Chreag, Meall a'Mhuic and Beinn Dearg and that was tough enough! :D :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Glen Lyon Weekend (Sunday)

Postby Yorjick » Sat May 13, 2017 10:26 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Interesting circuit, I never thought of combining Beinn Dearg and the Munro. We did a circuit of Cam Chreag, Meall a'Mhuic and Beinn Dearg and that was tough enough! :D :D

Your route was twice the distance and more ascent. I did Cam Chreag last October with Meall Buidhe.

I will still need to go back for the Graham Meall a'Mhuic sometime!

If the weather is good, it is always nice to include a higher peak.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland