walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

If walkhighlands says there`s a cairn, there`s a cairn !

If walkhighlands says there`s a cairn, there`s a cairn !

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 19/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

attachment=1]our_route.gpx[/attachment]
It was a wet day and as i was going solo i thought i`d just leave it today (again !), but i then realised I wouldn`t get anywhere close to walking all the munros if i kept that attitude up. So bag packed and off to Ben Vorlich to bag my 11th Munro. It`s Scotland, it`s going to rain a lot. I set off from the car, yes the car, at the car park in Inveruglas at 11.18am, but was stopped by a fellow novice walker(jeez, had to stop the clock) for some advice on the mountains in the Arrochar Alps. Happy to pass on my knowledge to him that Beinn an Lochhain is not a munro and there is in fact two Ben Vorlichs. I`m getting good at this, I cheerfully thought as i left him to get ready to go up Ben Vane. I followed the guide from probably the best website in the world and headed along the road to Loch sloy.
IMG_1119.JPG
loch sloy dam

As the dam came into view i started looking out for the cairn that marks the start of the walk, but the closer i got i started to worry that i`d maybe passed it or maybe someone had stolen it :shock: I turned back down the road and scanned the hill for some sign of a path. Eventually i just picked a spot and stared heading upwards. The cloud was very low and there was a slight smirring of rain. I clambered up over rocks and streams and with no chance of seeing any great views, I spurred myself on. My way of getting up was pretty dificult but enjoyable as i headed for the next shadowy buttress that poked out of the clouds. At about 2700ft i stopped for someting to eat and a well deserved rest. It was now 1.45pm and i thought i must be near the top now. Aye right. It was about 2800ft when i discoverd a path that took me along the plateau towards the summit, i thought .Again and again this happened until i almost **** myself when i heard voices coming towards me. The weary bunch of walkers told me i only had about 20 minutes to go. I reached both summits and the only thing in sight was cloud :(
IMG_1123.JPG
summit cairn

It was now 2.55pm. But what a great mountain, i`d love to see it basking in the sun. So i began my descent and was hoping to follow the path back along the ridge, but couldn`t find it again so i just headed straight down towards Loch Sloy. I`d been going down for about 45mns in thick cloud when i saw the must unlikely sight for sore eyes on a mountain, an electricity pylon ! Yes, this meant i was close to the bottom :) The narrow loch then opened up before me and i followed it back along it`s rocky bank towards the dam.
IMG_1129.JPG
loch sloy

About one km along the road, what did i see ? A little cairn marking the start of the (quite clear) path. :?
It was now 4.20pm and i got back to the car about an hour later. Me feet were sore, and i was soaking wet, but beats staying in the house doing D.I.Y :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: If walkhighlands says there`s a cairn, there`s a cairn !

Postby mountain coward » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 am

Ouch - it looks scarily steep and rocky on your map if that's where you came back down! We had weather just like it when we did it... I liked the mountain though
mountain coward

Re: If walkhighlands says there`s a cairn, there`s a cairn !

Postby skuk007 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Good will-power there to get out in such miserable conditions. I was lucky to do this on a good day and the views are worth it. I also couldn't find the small cairn on the path and ended up going cross-country for at least half the incline before picking up the path higher up.
Followed the path down all the way to the small cairn. :oops:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland