walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach - The Beast of Torridon

Liathach - The Beast of Torridon

Postby satkins » Fri May 12, 2017 11:00 am

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 06/05/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1500m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather:Sunny, no wind, temp on tops 12C
#ingroup:1
Starting Grid Ref: 934567

So I had no intention of being in the Highlands on this weekend. The Tuesday before I had been driving my normal commute on the M25 to Heathrow when the weather forecast radio announcement sparked my interest.
"Prolonged spells of sunshine as high pressure sits over Northern Britain well into the weekend and next week."
Arrived into work and checked MWIS. Its May, Northern Highlands, sunny, no wind, no cloud on tops, this can only mean one thing, its time to meet the Beast Of Torridon!
I have been wanting to do this ridge and the mighty "Am Fasarinen" for years and this was too good an opportunity to miss. Plus what better for a 40th birthday present to myself.
Anyway, admin sorted, a call to the mother-in-law near Inverness, a long road trip on Friday and I found myself at the base of Liathach on a perfect Saturday morning looking up the impenetrable sandstone terraces of the Beast.
IMG_3245.jpg
impenetrable sandstone terraces of the Beast

Garmin VivoActive on, map out, with a sense of excitement and trepidation I started the ascent following the path alongside "Allt an Doire Ghairbh"
IMG_3248.jpg
ascent path

1.6km with 800m ascent certainly wakes you up in the morning, took a break at the corrie Coire Liath Mhor, the buttresses are impressive and the height gain apparent judging by the size of my car in the now tiny lay by.
IMG_3249.jpg
tiny car in lay-by

The final 250m of ascent was a mixture of steep track and hands on scrambling before reaching the col of Bidein Toll a Mhuic and that view, no words, no wind just silence.
IMG_3251.jpg
no words

Heading East to the top Stuc a Choire Dhuibh Bhig with views over to Beinn Eighe, the camera was in overdrive
IMG_3257.jpg
view from Stuc a Choire Dhuibh Bhig

Walking on the ridge to the quartzite boulder field capped munro of Spidean a Choire Leith was a pleasure, all the while thinking about the numerous videos and walk reports I had seen of those pinnacles.
IMG_3254.jpg
view to Spidean a Choire Leith

IMG_3266.jpg

Perched on top of the munro, approx 1030am, another 5 people also deciding to have lunch, all looking at the awesome sight ahead. No-one moving!
IMG_3267.jpg
those pinnacles

No more procrastinating, made my way gingerly down the boulders from Spidean a Choire Leith and onto the ridge. Narrow path leads to the first pinnacle. Climbed up onto the first tricky sandstone slab, with an eye-watering chasm on the North side, edged along a horizontal crack until eventually mounting this "rock saddle", pulled myself forward until eventually standing on the top. My heart was pounding, exhilaration, I loved this, can't wait to continue.
IMG_3273.jpg
mount the horse!

People that I passed all had a knowing smile, this is good stuff, great to be alive.
The pinnacles were mostly escapable to the South side without using the eroded escape path and you can add as much exposure as you can handle by sticking to the ridge. I had to down-climb several sections but once facing the rock, I found plenty of hand and foot holds.
IMG_3288.jpg
typical Torridonian sandstone rock formations

One of the pinnacles featured these mini steps which could be ascended like a staircase from the south side from the path at the base of a gully.
IMG_3289.jpg
rock steps

The final pinnacle is approached from a narrow path with a simple scramble and an airy seat to contemplate what had come before , and to have a banana!
IMG_3296.jpg
the airy perch

IMG_3302.jpg

Once off the pinnacles, the ascent to the final munro is a 30min slog with no difficulty. Then another impressive vista layed out before you - Cuillins, An Teallach(next target), Ben Nevis, Outer Hebrides all beautifully visible.
IMG_3323.jpg
Loch Torridon and beyond

IMG_3327.jpg
An Teallach(next target)

IMG_3332.jpg
Beinn Alligin and Trottenish on Skye in background

Finally, just when you think the Beast has finished with you, the energy sapping, leg screaming descent over the slabby sandstone, steep scree fields and a mixture of paths and rocky steps, she spits you out onto some boggy marsh to finish you off, then expects you to walk back 3kms to your car.
IMG_3335.jpg
slabby

IMG_3339.jpg
scree and steep descent

I will remember this day fondly, the day I dropped everything to see what I was capable of, the day that the ancient Torridon guardians were kind enough to let me see the Highlands in all of their glory.
IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg
Looking back on Liathach
Attachments

liathach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

satkins
Scrambler

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:69   

Re: Liathach - The Beast of Torridon

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 12, 2017 11:22 am

Enjoyed that, the excitement and wonder at being in such a place, on such a day, really shone through in your report.

This is one of my favourite views in the mountains. As a student, I even attempted to sketch it (I'm no real artist) from the "High Mountains" book and had it on my wall in my room.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby denfinella » Fri May 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Brilliant. And well worth the drive in that sort of weather!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Alteknacker » Sat May 13, 2017 7:22 pm

That wonderful combination of beyond words splendour and pumping adrenaline - as you say: "...great to be alive...".

For me it started as I saw Liathach for the first time driving along the "A road" from Kinlochewe to Torridon and I saw the mountain for the first time...

Great stuff :clap: :clap: :clap: - and surely worth the mega journey to get there ...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Andymac75 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm sure you will always remember that day.

What an epic day,and and an awesome part of our country.

:clap:
Andymac75

Postby BobMcBob » Sat May 13, 2017 11:31 pm

A cracker! :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Chris Mac » Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am

Top stuff! Very descriptive and stunning photos. :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby jamesb63 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:05 pm

What a day you got for it ,stayed there for a week and eventually
croosed it in thick clag so great excuse to return thanks for the great pics :clap: :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland