walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

compromise

compromise

Postby litljortindan » Sun May 14, 2017 11:30 am

Date walked: 09/05/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First time on Raasay. Had intended to go to Dun Caan from the south but ended up just walking to the escarpment to the west and making a circular walk by continuing north west.
We crossed on the first ferry but it was already quite warm by 9am and I had loaded up with as much water as I thought I could carry without inducing back pain -3.5l. My wife pointed out that we'd also have a few opportunities to get more water from the burn that we'd be following for 3km on the way up but still I preferred to set off with more than I needed and that would prove to be a wise decision I think.
Had a very pleasant 3km walk along the road up to the start of the mine track with good views back to the two Cuillins. Half a km along the track north from the mine buildings saw us onto the steepish start of the Dun Caan path. Not sure how we managed this but we ended up on a boggy "shortcut" hugging the fencline that cut off a loop of the burn and it was obvious that plenty of others had done likewise. I doubt that it is of any real benefit though; were glad to get back onto the path proper after that interlude. It was very warm now and I was having to drink more than planned. Filled a bottle from the burn to try to keep carrying enough for "any eventuality". Then came our, or my, route error. I was using an OS map from the nineties which indicates only a route over the escarpment top rather than the lochside path which would've been easier for an ascent of Dun Caan. Just assumed this would be a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other plus there were lots of horse flies swarming at the foot of the escarpment and the only obvious path was indeed the one going up so up we went, not least to get away from the flies. Incidentally, the map had also caused momentary confusion when we got off the ferry as it indicates the old ferry route.
Got to the descent point for Dun Caan and decided on the spot just to leave it for another day. I was quite low on water now, knew that Jill wouldn't really enjoy the down and back up on a scree path and she was really enjoying the day after the previous night's battle of Geodh a' Mhadaidh. So descent it was. Will return for Dun Caan some time though.
As it was we were able to enjoy fine views of Dun Caan itself, the mainland beyond and, especially, Ben Tianavaig and neighbours to the north west as we strolled along the escarpment top.
The descent north west was very easy and we had a surprisingly enjoyable road walk back to the ferry with the Cuillin again providing a grand backdrop.

ImageDSCN8998 by John Little, on Flickr
My contemplation of the sea is disturbed by the ferrymen asking if I'm getting on or what, much to my wife's amusement

ImageDSCN9000 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9012 by John Little, on Flickr
Decent path but we managed to lose it at one point and ended up on a soggy shortcut

ImageDSCN9013 by John Little, on Flickr
Handy burn for the hard of hydration

ImageDSCN9016 by John Little, on Flickr
Quite a magnificent little turret

ImageDSCN9017 by John Little, on Flickr
Our time-warp map takes us left and up when we should have looked down and right, into the keds

ImageDSCN9019 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9020 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9021 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9023 by John Little, on Flickr
Loch na Mna

ImageDSCN9024 by John Little, on Flickr
Fine views of Tianavaig

ImageDSCN9025 by John Little, on Flickr
Our furthest north -doubled back from here to the descent path along the edge of the lochan top right

ImageDSCN9026 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9027 by John Little, on Flickr
End of the escarpment

ImageDSCN9029 by John Little, on Flickr
A view of my April destination -Sithean a' Bhealaich Chumhaing

ImageDSCN9031 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9032 by John Little, on Flickr
Tianaviag, Sithean and the Storr

ImageDSCN9035 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9038 by John Little, on Flickr
One of only two climbs on the road walk back to the ferry

ImageDSCN9042 by John Little, on Flickr
Easy road walking when you see this ahead

ImageDSCN9047 by John Little, on Flickr
Lamb ready to confront

ImageDSCN9049 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9055 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9057 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9059 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9060 by John Little, on Flickr
Sithean and Storr again

ImageDSCN9068 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9072 by John Little, on Flickr
Back into the woodland before the ferry

ImageDSCN9078 by John Little, on Flickr
And onto the shoreline

ImageDSCN9080 by John Little, on Flickr
Last view of Tianavaig

ImageDSCN9085 by John Little, on Flickr
The ferry awaits
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland