walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 Munros above Loch Lagan

2 Munros above Loch Lagan

Postby andrew11 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 04/05/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 980m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was heading for Fort William to watch my nephew riding in the Scottish Six Days Trial and decided to climb a hill or two on the way.

Started out from the car park at Aberarder at 11.45 in beautiful sunlight which continued all day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC00138.ARW_12.00_ARW.jpg_0.48_jpg.jpg
On way up to Carn Liath

Started off in tee shirt but as I got higher up and the breeze increased added a jumper and on the top of Carn Liath a jacket.

DSC00140.ARW_11.00_ARW.jpg_0.32_jpg.jpg
On top of Carn Liath

DSC00144.ARW_10.00_ARW.jpg_0.41_jpg.jpg
looking to Coire Ardair from the ridge on the way to Stob Poite Coire Ardair

DSC00145.ARW_11.00_ARW.jpg_0.33_jpg.jpg
Stay back from the cornice!

Had hoped to take in Creag Meagaidh as well but when I came down from Stob Poite Coire Ardair to the bealach between the two (the Window) I was suffering a bit from cramp and a sore knee (old age and lack of fitness!) so decided to head down to Lochan Coire Ardair and head back to the car park.

DSC00146.ARW_13.00_ARW.jpg_0.46_jpg.jpg
Coming down through the window

DSC00147.ARW_8.90_ARW.jpg_0.29_jpg.jpg
Cliffs above Lochan Ardair

DSC00154.ARW_9.90_ARW.jpg_0.31_jpg.jpg
The Locvhan below Creag Meagaidh

bunny.jpg
I thought I saw a huge white rabbit up on the cliffs of the corrie!!! (with a little help from paint.net!)

DSC00156.ARW_12.00_ARW.jpg_0.60_jpg.jpg
Stone by the path on the way down. How did it get that pattern?

DSC00158.ARW_7.90_ARW.jpg_0.19_jpg.jpg
Fallen tree.

I used to equal or better the book times when walking the hills but now find that I take about 25% longer. Still enjoy it just as much though!

All in all a great day out and the amazing weather continued for the rest of the SSDT.

DSC00169.ARW_12.00_ARW.jpg_0.26_jpg.jpg
My nephew taking part in the ssdt.

The skill of the riders as they rode through impossible looking sections up burns and over boulders was truly something to behold! A fantastic week end!
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland