walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking through central Mull

Walking through central Mull

Postby apollo0815 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Route description: Mull Coast to Coast - Killiechronan to Salen

Date walked: 06/05/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We travelled around Scotland during the last two weeks, planning to do sightseeing and a lot of walking, too.
This was our first longer walk for this holiday.
I was travelling with my mum and my aunt, aged 73 and 76. My mum has been to Scotland before so she knew, what to expect, my aunt never has been to Scotland, so she didn't , obviously...

Our route was following a suggestion from a little booklet, "Walking on Mull", adding the Killiechronan to Salen part from WH.
We started out at Teanga Brideig on the route from Craignure to Fionnphort, Our B&B host was so nice to take us there, as we started on a saturday, during the week it would be possible to go there by West Highland Motors Coach, connecting Tobermory to Craignure and Fionnphort.

The route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The start
Looking back in direction of Iona

Looking up the valley
My followers
The clouds were helping us not to sweat to heavily

Glen Clachaig in its full Ice age glory form
Already muddied boots, in an location that got important later.
The girls, still happy
Walking down Glen Clachaig
looking back at A'Chioch
Halfway down the glen, I started feeling strange. But why? Patting my pockets, I realized that that the case with my glasses was missing from my pocket.
But, where? Shortly after starting from Carn Cul Righ Albainn, I slipped and fell, maybe there.
No I had no such luck, it was laying right at the cairn, where we had been resting a while, later I discovered a hole in the leg pocket of my walking trousers.....
So, 1,5 km back, 150m up, jippie.
Looking back at the ladies from the top....
An eagle appeared, but sadly it did not wait for me to fiddle out my zoom optics.

I rejoined the ladies
finally after al lot of happy bogging we reached the path starting down the valley.
Reaching Loch Ba
The Herd

The boss, paying attention to everything, especially us.
The other boss
Loch Ba
Taking a bath
Gruline Church

After that, sadly my cam batteries, gave up.
All in all, 20 km for me, 17 for the Ladies, without picking up lost glasses....
What a very nice day, even if my aunt would not agree, she was very happy to see the "Salen" sign.....
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland