walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Turin Hill in the afternoon

Turin Hill in the afternoon

Postby Alfachick » Fri May 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Turin Hill

Date walked: 19/05/2017

Distance: 3.2 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So having read a few walk reports on here I had been reluctant to go up Turin hill due to the presence of the grumpy farmer. However the call of the trig point on the top and turning a local red ballon blue on here were too strong and I decided today would be the day that I tried it.

I decided that perhaps the best way to avoid the grumpy farmer would be to take the route up from the North side of the hill. As I parked my car on the verge at the back of Turin hill farm I saw a lady out with her dog who was clearly a local and I asked her if it would be ok to go up, she seemed friendly enough and just said to watch out for the electric fences.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My chosen route.

So with a locals blessing I set off up the hill, there was a nice easy track up to the trees where on the 1:50k scale OS map there is a path up through, so as I spied a piece of plastic sacking tied over the barbed wire fence I struck off into the woods. I had met a couple on the path up to here who had warned me that they had been chased by a heard of young bulls in the adjacent field, so I was more than happy to take a slightly more difficult route under foot than risk being trampled!

Soon enough I emerged out of the trees and then onto pasture and a land rover track which I just followed up to the top of the hill and the trig.

IMG_1235.jpg
Brutus ontop of the trig with Cat Law in the distance.

IMG_1238.jpg
Panorama looking West and North

IMG_1240.jpg
Panorama looking South and East

After taking in the view for a few minutes and figuring out quite how far I could see, which turns out to be really quite far considering Turin Hill is such a small hill, I set off back down the hill. I went through the field to the West of the strip of forrest on the way back as it was easier underfoot and there were no signs of any livestock in that field. A couple of electric fences had already been negotiated by myself and the dog by this point but here is where our luck ran out. Poor Brutus (stupid name for a cocker spaniel but he came with it) didn't realise that the wire was electrified and jumped up and got a bit tangled in it, with the wire under his front leg. Poor thing his yelps were awful to hear. So I launched him over the gate and then took care crossing over the fence myself before we had to crawl under the next fence and then we were home free.

Other than the electric fence drama it was a nice enough walk, although a bit of a faff really. Still thats another blue ballon and a trig ticked off that had been bugging me for a while.
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland