walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not In at Sgurr Dearg

Not In at Sgurr Dearg

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun May 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Date walked: 04/05/2017

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 936m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our walk up Sgurr Dearg was battle between impetuousness and caution. Caution won :( just :lol: and a bit more practice is required before we go back to bag the Inaccessible Pinnacle but it was a grand walk just the same. I would highly recommend walkers and scramblers take time to explore this part of the Cuillin Ridge whether or not they intend to climb the In Pinn.
We followed the walk the Highlands route backwards with a bit of a variation up Sgurr Dearg Beag.
IMG_1260.JPG
The Route

It has always been our intention to tackle the Inaccessible Pinnacle under our own steam but we knew good preparation would be required to achieve this without causing a que of guides and clients stretching back to Glen Brittle as we bumbled our way up at snails pace or worse, got flustered by the absail. But, there we were staying in Kintail, with an impeccable weather forecast for the rest of the week, so, we decided the time to face the Inaccessible Pinnacle had arrived. Throwing caution and any form of preparation to the wind, we made a dash home for our climbing gear, cut our rope down to 40m (the minimum length recommended), had a quick absail practice of the coat pegs in the hall and crossed our fingers that it would not be too busy midweek this early in the year.
After a cursory look at possible ascents routes to Sgurr Dearg we decided to go up by the west ridge and descend by Coire Nan Bannidich.
Wednesday, 8:20 am, we were parked outside Glen Brittle Youth Hostel and ready to go. Now where's the path? A quick check of the map showed it would have been closer to park at the Glen Brittle Hut, but this early error worked in our favour as all there were no parking spaces left at Glen Brittle Hut.
Despite all the cars there were very few people around, as we followed the path to Coire Laggan.
IMG_1213.JPG
The Walk in and path towards Coire Laggan

Our map did not show a path leading up the west ridge so we just struck of the path at a likely point to make our way over undulating ground and then started climbing up the steep grassy stair case..
IMG_1215.JPG
Making our way up the steep grassy slopes of the west ridge
As we gained height we eventually met up with a path. As I looked back I could see a small troupe of people heading our way, perhaps it won't be so quite after all :wink:
The path led to some very easy scrambling up a rocky chimney and then out onto the nose of Sron Dearg.
IMG_1216.JPG
Short rocky chimney

IMG_1217.JPG
Looking down from the Nose of Sron Dearg
IMG_1218.JPG
Loch Brittle

The path up to Sgurr Dearg Beag was quite loose in places and so we made haste not wishing to be overtaken, however the other party had disappeared, they were probabley hanging back not wanting to be just behind people on loose rock either.
IMG_1220.JPG
Ths stoney slopes of Sron Dearg
IMG_1243.JPG
Sgurr Dearg Beag

The scrambling guidebook had suggested you could choose either a left or right route up Sgurr Dearg Beag and both were a grade 1 scramble. Walkhighlands Route indicated the easiest route and the path went to the left. We headed for the middle :lol: but came to a dead end with no easy way out. We then tried the route to the left, but there was still no obvious easy scrambling. After a bit of huffing and puffing and walking backwards and forwards we decided to climb up a groove, to some easier ground above. I would have said it was more grade 3 than grade 1, it's only saving grace was that it looked like you could slither back down it if you got stuck.
IMG_1244.JPG
In The Groove
IMG_1245.JPG
We may be going the wrong way
IMG_1247.JPG
Over the shelf

Above the groove there was a bit more scrambling before we reached the path leading to Sgurr Dearg. Whilst we were finding our way the party behind had caught us up by following the path around to the right.
IMG_1261.JPG
Sgurr Dearg Beag
IMG_1249.JPG
Round the side

From here the path runs some distance below the ridge leading to Sgurr Dearg, I found it rather loose and very exposed :(
IMG_1250.JPG
Feeling exposed
and I was quite glad to reach another short section of easy scrambling which led to the top of the ridge, with the path then running much more securely on its other side.
IMG_1251.JPG
Easy scrambling

By now we could see the In Pinn and were becoming very excited but as we approached the gearing up area we observed the seriousness of the absail and the number of teams climbing or waiting to climb the In Pinn our excitement turned to apprehension.
We decided to have lunch and watch how other people were getting on.
IMG_1252.JPG
The Inaccessible Pinnacle in all its glory
IMG_1264.JPG
So that's how it's done
IMG_1253.JPG
Everybody and their dog, but not us

Although not teeming there was a constant que of people waiting to absail, some very competent and others looking positively bumbley. The more we watched the more we became convinced that we were not slick enough to climb the In Pinn whilst it was that busy. Oh dear :lol: back to the original plan of more practice. It is a shame the decent routes are so complex or perhaps we could try it on a moonlit night :D .
IMG_1255.JPG
Slinking away down the scree

After the initial scree and despite our disappointment we really enjoyed the decent which was varied and interesting in a splendid situation.
IMG_1256.JPG
Along the ridge

IMG_1257.JPG
Easy scramble to Bealach Coire Nan Bannidich

IMG_1262.JPG
Looking out from the Bealach
IMG_1254.JPG
Walking across the scree

IMG_1258.JPG
Coire na Ba

Coire na Bannidich

IMG_1259.JPG
Final Look Back

There looked like there was endless variations of scrambling and easy climbing on Sgurr Dearg and I would really like to return to explore further and to follow the ridge rather than the by pass path to the In Pinn, whether we will have the confidence to try for the ultimate summit, who knows, but I like to think we might.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Not In at Sgurr Dearg

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon May 22, 2017 10:30 am

Another excellent report from you ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looks like great adventurous day in the finest area 8) :D
Good effort from you and it's a good idea to explore the place before you will go for the In Pin :thumbup:
It will make you feel more confident and prepared for the day "D"
Beautiful photos and action shots :clap:

...and yes, no doubts that you will climb the top of In Pin soon, after all your practice and scrambling experience on scottish mountains ! :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby jamesb63 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 am

Excellent report and super weather for it ,when I done the traverse last week
I was apprehencive about the Pinn but after going through some of the other bits on the ridge
the Inn Pinn is a very easy climb and abseil
Set out about 6 if you can next time you will have it to yourself
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Another excellent report from you ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looks like great adventurous day in the finest area 8) :D
Good effort from you and it's a good idea to explore the place before you will go for the In Pin :thumbup:
It will make you feel more confident and prepared for the day "D"
Beautiful photos and action shots :clap:

...and yes, no doubts that you will climb the top of In Pin soon, after all your practice and scrambling experience on scottish mountains ! :D

Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement Petr, and you are right the exploring was useful, as we now know what to expect so hopefully more prepared when we go back.

jamesb63 wrote:Excellent report and super weather for it ,when I done the traverse last week
I was apprehencive about the Pinn but after going through some of the other bits on the ridge
the Inn Pinn is a very easy climb and abseil
Set out about 6 if you can next time you will have it to yourself

Thank you James, , I appreciate the moral support and very good advice about an early start. The absail looked quite daunting, so did throwing the rope, in the right direction from the top of Pinnacle, :roll: .
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Crackin day. Great pictures. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby prog99 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 pm

If your profile is correct and you are in grantown then Huntlys Cave would be a decent place to practice an abseil. You'll need to rig your own anchor as I don't think theres anything in-situ (Inn Pinn has a big chain).
Check there are no climbers below you first of course.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Good on you for reconnoitering first and planning ahead - must confess, like many I took the easy option and followed a guide. Great day for it and all the best when you do get up there - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Crackin day. Great pictures. :D

Thank you, we enjoyed it , hope lots more sunshine is on the cards for us all.
prog99 wrote:If your profile is correct and you are in grantown then Huntlys Cave would be a decent place to practice an abseil. You'll need to rig your own anchor as I don't think theres anything in-situ (Inn Pinn has a big chain).
Check there are no climbers below you first of course.

Good suggestion, and we could benefit from the practice with anchors as well. We just need to find a time when it is not too busy with the outdoor groups.
rockhopper wrote:Good on you for reconnoitering first and planning ahead - must confess, like many I took the easy option and followed a guide. Great day for it and all the best when you do get up there - cheers :)

Thank you Rockhopper, Glad you had a good day for it, not sure many people would see the In Pinn as an easy option, guide or not :lol: :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland