walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First overnighter - part 2

First overnighter - part 2

Postby craigthe5th » Mon May 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Route description: Ben Hope

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 21/05/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 946m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Woke up at the most beautiful place - the foot of Ben Hope!

Considering how terrible the previous day was I couldn't be happier this morning. I was warm, dry and it was a lovely day.

Was up at 4.30, packed up Andy had breakfast and were off for 5.30 in the morning. We were in the shade due to the hill but could see in the distance the sun was shining!

I had never done 2 Munros on the bounce before but today I was daring to go. Without realising it I shot ahead of Fraser. It was steep in parts but relatively easy to climb.

Before long I was near the top but was very hungry so stopped to wait for Fraser and had a bite. Once we gathered ourselves it was off to the summit!

It was like night and day from the previous day, at the top of Ben hope it was a little windy and cold (it was 7.30am!) but the sun was out and we were getting views. It was ecstatic!!

Chilled out for 20 mins at the top before our descent, again we missed the path again a bit but no big deal on this hill.

Back to the car and a 5 hour drive home - it had been a good weekend, just a shame about the Saturday. A great experience and memories were had.

Our digs for the night

Easy to find the start!

Sunrise creeping up over the ridge

At the top - Not bad for 7.30am!
craigthe5th
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland