walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Awe Corbett, and the missing Camera

Loch Awe Corbett, and the missing Camera

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bhuiridh, near Loch Awe

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh

Date walked: 04/05/2017

Time taken: 4.33 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 908m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been at the Mountaineering Clubs AMG at Dunoon and had been looking forward to doing a Corbett the following day and my mate Martin had suggested this hill on my way home and not far from my intended campsite the excellent Pine Trees at Tyndrum. We left the car at 12.00 pm on the B8077just 100m beyond the large aluminium gate on the left hand sideof the road then headed back to the gate which we decided to climb. Then we were faced with a large herd of cattle feeding nearby the track, we decided to give them a wide berth as there was also a bull in the field.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1a.JPG
The cows in the first field feeding
2.JPG
On the good walking track
3.JPG
Further up the track before the disused quarry, we decided to take photographs of each other, this is when Martin realised he had lft his camera on the car roof. ah ah, will we go back or will we carry on, not wanting to push our luck with the bull and the cattle we decided the latter
4.JPG
Coming out of the quarry area
5.JPG
That's our hill on the left of photo
6.JPG
Heading up to the low point on the bealach walking on the South side of the burn
7.JPG
A breather on a large stone, underfoot conditions ok and not too wet but no path
9.JPG
Looking back down the glen
10.JPG
Looking towards the Cruachan range
11.JPG
The two of us at the summit cairn the West most and smaller one in 2 hours 15 mins
12.JPG
The gaelic word for this hill means The Hill of the Roaring Stag, this is our impression
13.JPG
Martin at the summit with Loch Awe behind
14.JPG
We headed for a sheltered spot for a bite to eat and drink
15.JPG
On the way over to the larger cairn on the East summit
16.JPG
Heading towards an interestingly large boulder
17.JPG
Fun time begins
21.JPG
The head of Loch Awe with Kilchurn Castle
22.JPG
Zoom of the castle
24.JPG
Looking over Dalmally
25.JPG
Martin finding his lost camera where he left them, Phew.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Loch Awe Corbett, and the missing Camera

Postby PeteR » Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 pm

It's a fine hill indeed Rod. Certainly enjoyed my trip there recently, with great views down Loch Awe. Glad the camera was not lost too.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Loch Awe Corbett, and the missing Camera

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 am

PeteR wrote:It's a fine hill indeed Rod. Certainly enjoyed my trip there recently, with great views down Loch Awe. Glad the camera was not lost too.

Hi Pete how did you climb it WH kinda suggests going over the ridge first think it's better the way we did it fine views coming down whereas going up it's only when you reach the summit you get views :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland