walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wedding anniversary on Schiehallion

Wedding anniversary on Schiehallion

Postby snowdonia7 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 20/05/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 721m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having walked more than 200 of my munros to date with Neil I was to have a different walking companion for number 220. My lovely wife Nicola would be taking her munro total to 1 and putting aside her ambivalence towards the hills to celebrate with me a special event 28 years previous. For on Saturday the 20th of May 1989 Liverpool beat Everton in the FA cup final - oh yes and we also got married :lol:

Having driven up from north Wales on Friday and staying in a nice B&b in Aberfeldy (I thought that suggesting a wild camp might have been pushing it) we arrived at an empty car park at Brae of Foss at 9am.

We set off in light rain and good spirits - after the walk we would be heading to Glasgow to spend the night and have a celebratory meal.

As a relatively novice hill walker (although we did Snowdon together a fortnight ago) Nic was setting the pace. I was happy with this as I was suffering with a dose of man flu - not that anyone would have known this of course as we guys tend to suffer in silence and not look for pity :lol:

As we approached the end of the well made path we headed into the mist and the wind strengthened raising the chill factor. The rain was verging on sleet and I felt a bit guilty for dragging Nic up a hill in such miserable conditions, but she kept smiling (mostly).

I guess the boulder fields on the approach to the summit would be awkward for anyone who isn't used to such terrain and slowing down to pick your way through allows the cold to seep in -
especially if you make a schoolboy error and head up the hill without any gloves :( Furthermore I was suffering alternate hot flushes and chills as a result of my man flu, but of course I wouldn't mention that :)

At the summit we paused long enough for a selfie before heading down.

Celebrating Anniversay on Schiehallion.jpg
Celebrating our wedding anniversary

After about 20 minutes we saw the first other walkers of the day, and indeed a first on any hill as I remember - someone carrying an umbrella!

As we continued down we passed quote a few others heading up - as is often the case some did not look prepared for hillwalking in any weather let alone in poor weather (am I being a bit too much of a grumpy old man to suggest that hillwalking in jeans should be a criminal offence ).

We arrived back at the car at 12.30 wet through, but pleased to have completed our first munro together, it's too soon to establish if there will be another :-D
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Re: Wedding anniversary on Schiehallion

Postby katyhills » Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Congratulations to you both - here's hoping you didn't put Nic off with the weather! I've never seen anything from the top of that hill :lol:

Know what you mean about folk in jeans though - not clever. It's the ones who are out in winter conditions in completely unsuitable gear that are really worrying :(
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Wedding anniversary on Schiehallion

Postby Coop » Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Congratulations to you both. I like your report.

Let's not mention the other fitbaw game in Glasgow that day :(

I think it must be the tour guides or bus drivers when they park at Schehallion " away you go for a wander - we've a few hours here!!!!"
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland