walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunny Skye and Seduced by a Corbett (or two)

Sunny Skye and Seduced by a Corbett (or two)

by Jaxter » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 am

Route description: Garbh Bheinn and Belig

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh-bheinn (Skye), Glamaig

Fionas included on this walk: Belig

Date walked: 19/05/2017

Time taken: 8.4 hours

Distance: 17.38 km

Ascent: 1931m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Sunny Skye and Seduced by a Corbett (or two)

Postby jmarkb » Mon May 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Jaxter wrote:Great hill so long as you like steep scree

The NE ridge is a good route, and fairly scree-free. The Slig side is pretty brutal, but more convenient if you want to combine it with the Beinn Deargs.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Great pair of walks, and a nice camping spot :D . Glamaig is a steep bugger. I remember going up it one December on my way home after I had been working on Skye. There were only 2 hours of daylight left, and I just about made it to the top in time for sunset. I was in my t-shirt and shorts, but put my waterproof trousers on to speed up the snowy bumsliding descent a bit.

Shame about the inn pinn a couple of days later - always a risk on Skye that you don't end up doing what you intended!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Jaxter wrote:Great hill so long as you like steep scree

The NE ridge is a good route, and fairly scree-free. The Slig side is pretty brutal, but more convenient if you want to combine it with the Beinn Deargs.

I was thinking about that but I hadn't looked at any reports so wasn't sure how possible it was. Looked very steep with crags... mebbe a better option for another time tho :thumbup:

malky_c wrote:Great pair of walks, and a nice camping spot :D . Glamaig is a steep bugger. I remember going up it one December on my way home after I had been working on Skye. There were only 2 hours of daylight left, and I just about made it to the top in time for sunset. I was in my t-shirt and shorts, but put my waterproof trousers on to speed up the snowy bumsliding descent a bit.

Shame about the inn pinn a couple of days later - always a risk on Skye that you don't end up doing what you intended!

That descent would be glorious in snow :lol: :lol: another time :wink: would be lovely to get a really good sunset up there though.
Hey ho...I'll get to do the Pinn on my birthday now, so it's not all bad :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland