walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The hills are stuffed with brilliant blokes: WHW in 5 days

The hills are stuffed with brilliant blokes: WHW in 5 days

by walk aboot » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Route description: West Highland Way 1: Milngavie to Drymen

Date walked: 13/09/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The hills are stuffed with brilliant blokes: WHW in 5 days

Postby mountainstar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Top report as usual, your report from the Coming Glencoe meet will be like War & Peace with all the "quotes" likely :D
PS nice shoes...shame about the socks :)
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby walk aboot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

I know! It was really unfortunate I happened to be wearing pink socks the day I bought them :oops: :lol: .

Acht what goes on on a meet stays on a meet...unless you are all really funny, jokes-a-plenty that is :lol:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby walk aboot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 pm

mountain coward wrote:I'm quite fancying taking a walk from Rowardennan (if the road desists from puncturing my Sunny's tires this time! :( ) to Inversnaid and having a look at this bit everyone keeps mentioning...

The Rowardennan to Inversnaid bit is just constant up and down walking through woodland, MC, although the Rowardennan Hotel is great, welcoming with good food (and a band sometimes too). It is the Inversnaid to Inverarnan bit that is scrambly - nothing too difficult, just hard because it's towards the end of a long day walking, and it makes for slow progress walking in the heavy rain and dark.
walk aboot

Postby walk aboot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Just thought I'd mention (incase I've put anyone off with all this talk about blisters) that the WHW is definitely worth doing for the banter :D , and especially the brilliant feeling you get at the end of day four in Kinlochleven, when you know you've almost cracked it 8) .

If you do get blisters early on, instead of throwing in the towel, think about changing your plans e.g. skip a section and have a rest day, rest where you are and add on an extra day, and if you are having problems carrying a heavy rucksack, just phone Travel-Lite and they'll collect it (they'll deliver your bag to campsites as well as B&Bs and bunkhouses - only £35).

One last top tip: there are cheap indepndent B&Bs on the stretch of road that runs parallel to the official route into Fort William. I stayed there with a lovely wee lady, Mrs Mary Kerr, for £22 per night (telephone: 01397 704 108), and her B&B was only 5 minutes walk from the town centre :thumbup: .
walk aboot

Re: The hills are stuffed with brilliant blokes: WHW in 5 da

Postby bates953 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:18 pm

I enjoyed reading this as much as the book with nearly the same name...... :clap:
bates953
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Re: The hills are stuffed with brilliant blokes: WHW in 5 da

Postby jules999 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:09 am

absolutely loved your report on your trip on The West Highland Way.. sounds like you had a fantastic time even with your ups and downs... made me laugh out loud :lol: I am doing it with a friend in May so I am loving reading others stories about whats in store.. best advice... plenty compede... rain clothing.. sense of humour.. :D
jules999
Mountain Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:67
Fionas:19   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:33   
Islands:4

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland