walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Postby steven65 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 20/09/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1376m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The previous day - Sun 19/9 - i`d climbed Stuchd an Lochain in poor visibility conditions , so i was very much looking forward to doing Ben Cruachan in better visibility. Hopefully...........
I stopped at the Green Welly for a quick coffee & to let Oskar stretch his legs & have a quick pee.As we went through Glen Lochy it was very dark with HEAVY rain , but this cleared as we drove on through, & by Dalmally it had stopped & the sun was out. Great :D
We parked at the lay by beside Cruachan train stop got ready and were off just after 915am , taking the route as described here on the site.It is quite a tough start up through the trees , but the views behind get better every minute. After the deer fence / style it was really very boggy underfoot & the Allt Cruachan burn was heavy.
The rain came back on again from here up to the Dam.I took a quick break here & had a chat with a couple with a Lab bitch who moved on in front of me.Thankfully the rain lessened a wee bit , although low clouds covered the ridge for most of the day - blowing through now and again as seen in my fotos to expose great views .
So onwards and up to Coire Dearg which i found hard going. I took another breather here and was passed by 2 young guys who disappeared very quickly into the mist towards the summit.
Oskar on looking up towards Coire Dearg
Alas onwards again , Oskar was doing great amoungst the boulders & the mist , it was a relief to summit ! The couple were there before me & took our foto at the remains of the trig point. Unfortunately we had no views - but this improved later on. It was now piece time - some cold pizza & coffee & water - great.
Coming off the summit was steep -but Oskar did very well. We did have to drop down on the route to avoid the huge wet slab boulders -as described -then climb again to summit Drochaid Ghlas.
After this i enjoyed the walk to Stob Diamh - it was for me the best part of the day :D The mist cleared more here than at any other time on the ridge & the rain had stopped , the views were impressive ! Again we had a break on Stob Diamh before moving onto Stob Garbh .
After this i lost the path down towards Lairg Torran - i made my own way , then the path re appeared much more clearly defined,so i rejoined it down towards the water & the exit route -the bottom of which was VERY boggy/wet/muddy due to all the rain run off.
Looking over to Ben Cruachan the clouds / mist had not lifted all day from it`s summit , but the views all around were spectacular & the sun was warmly shinning.
A much better day than the previous one , it had been a long day - 9.5 hours & quite tiring , but i had enjoyed it emensely & Oskar i`m sure had too , he`d been great.
Roll on Thursday morning -Stuc A` Chroin.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Cruachan & Stob Diamh

Postby Spade » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 am

Fantastic photos, great clarity and panorama. Great walking report :D
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland