walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2-in-1: Seana Bhraigh and the Beinn Dearg Group

2-in-1: Seana Bhraigh and the Beinn Dearg Group

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun May 28, 2017 2:55 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean, Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 21/05/2017

Time taken: 33 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 2500m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I and a group of work colleagues have just had a great trip using a wild camp and two moderate-length day walks to bag the remote Seana Bhraigh and all of the (Ullapool) Beinn Dearg Group in a single relatively-easy 2-day trip, rather than two separate very long days.

We left the walkers car park at Inverlael about 10am on Day 1, headed almost due east through the woods on a good track for about an hour, then up the Lael glen on a good relatively-level path to where the path divides (just past a prominent waterfall on the river below) and marked by a small cairn.

Junction_on_the_Beinn_Dearg path.jpg
Junction on the Beinn Dearg path

The left-hand branch follows a fairly gentle rising traverse up into the broad corrie containing Lochan a Chnapaich where we spend an hour putting up tents etc, then a steep but straightforward climb northwards up an easy grassy climb onto the broad west ridge of Eididh nan Clach Geala and an easy stroll to the summit - not clear which of the two summit cairns was highest, so we visited them both, to be on the safe side.

Then out across the remote moorland to the spectacular view-point at the head of Cadha Dearg, with a bit of a detour needed to avoid a set of cliffs between Meall a Choire Ghlais and Loch a Chadha Dheirg which I hadn't spotted when initially planning my route. The views north down Cadha Dearg to the Assynt hills beyond, with Seana Bhraigh in the foreground were amazing.

On_way_to_SB.jpg
On the way to Seana Bhraigh

A bit of a climb up onto SB's summit plateau, revealing epic views of the very pointy 905m An Sgurr/Creag an Duine and its very narrow ridge perched proudly on the other side of the stunning northern corrie. An Sgurr must be one of the most-spectacular hills which is not on any of the main hill-lists?

An_Sgurr_from_SB.jpg
An Sgurr from Seana Bhraigh

Back to the camp-site via the lochan at NH267837, getting there by about 19:30 (so 8.5 hrs of walking), with plenty of day-light left for cooking tea & drinking whisky.

Next day, we headed east back up the easy gully to NH267837 and then south up easy slopes to the 942m former Munro Top, followed by a very pleasant stroll via Ceann Garbh to Meall nan Ceapraichean, with stunning views in all directions.

North_from_SNC_inc_SB.jpg
Looking north to Assynt hills from MNC

West_from_SNC.jpg
Looking west from MNC

CM_and_BD.jpg
Cona Mheall and Beinn Dearg

A small amount of straightforward descent, before an easy climb to Cona Mheall for lunch (and more great views, including the view north into yet another big hole (this one containing Loch Tuath).

Loch Tuath and SB from CM.jpg
Loch Tuath and Seana Bhraigh from Cona Mheall

Back down to the head of Coire Grandha, where we picked up the good path on the north side of the 'Famine Wall' up onto the plateau and the straightforward final gentle ascent across the rocks to Beinn Dearg's impressive summit cairn.

BD.jpg
Beinn Dearg

Back down to the col between the 3 Munros and an easy descent into the valley between Beinn Dearg and Ceapraichean, followed by a simple level traverse under Ceapraichean's cliffs to return to our campsite for a well-deserved cup of tea.

Packed up the camping stuff and set off on the 10Km trudge back to the car at Inverlael, getting there just before 18:00 (9 hours after leaving camp-site in the morning, including the time making tea and packing up the tents etc)

I'd definitely recommend this as a great 2-day trip and, IMO, this combination is much better that tackling these via two separate too-long days.

NB Save it for a day when you can enjoy the amazing 360 degree views.

BTW Are there any other hills which are as spectacular as An Sgurr and which are not on any of the 'classic' lists of Scottish hills?

2-day_SB_BD_GPS_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Boris_the_Bold on Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Re: 2-in-1: Seana Bhraigh and the Beinn Dearg Group

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon May 29, 2017 12:52 am

Some nice atmospheric pictures there Boris. 8)
Sunset tripper

Postby JohnFaeGourdie » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:33 pm

Read this report and am excited to say that I’m incorporating this into my August break next week.
Appreciate that this was posted a few years ago now but any other tips would be greatly appreciated before I set off 🤞🏻😊
JohnFaeGourdie
Walker

Munros:43   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am

JohnFaeGourdie wrote:Read this report and am excited to say that I’m incorporating this into my August break next week.
Appreciate that this was posted a few years ago now but any other tips would be greatly appreciated before I set off 🤞🏻😊

If you're planning on two days with a camp and happy to carry your full sack with you, you could do a loop by going directly from Inverlael to SB (full rucksack could be left behind a rock for the out/back to SB) then on to EnCG and MnC to camp near the lichens below BD. Next day BE and CM then return via Gleann na Sguaib. Avoids the long out/back to SB.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:49 pm

Worth noting (again) that there is a surprisingly steep set of small but awkward cliffs between the summit of EnCG and the head wall of the Cadha Dearg, which the OS map doesn’t really show - also, I still reckon An Sgurr/Creag an Duine is the most spectacular peak that doesn’t make it onto any of the main ‘baggers list’, and is probably worth a detour, if you have time.

And someone should create a list of ‘Memorable Scottish peaks which are not on any other list’

Looking forward to seeing your Walk Report

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland