walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell on a hot May Day

Cairnwell on a hot May Day

Postby jwramsay » Sun May 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 27/05/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 26th May 2017 was predicted to hit 30 degrees celsius in the north of Scotland.

I started from the Glenshee Ski centre carpark at 13:30pm with a few two litre bottles of water in my backpack. I was amazed at the head start this affords you - some 2160 feet, leaving only 1000 feet ascent to bag a munro!

The octagonal cafe at the start of the route:

Almost at the top of Carn Aosda and a look back down the valley:Image

Top of the Ski Tow (one of many!):

I followed the Walkhighlands route by bagging Carn Aosda first, in less than 1 hour from the car - Amazing!

Panorama from the top of Carn Aosda:

View towards the next munro - Carn a'Gheoidh:

Pano of Carn Aosda on left and The Cairnwell on right:Image

And another of the same:

Mountain hares and red grouse about here, as does Golden Plover. If you hear a loud "peep" that will be a Golden Plover!

Hartley Hare:

It was really windy atop the second munro stopped and talked to a pair of older gentlemen who were kind enough to take my photograph with the eastern munros of Glenshee behind me. Directly behind is Glas Maol, the highest. To the left are Carn an Tuirc (where I wildcamped) and Cairn of Claise closet to me.Image

Pano of the summit of Carn a'Gheodh and the north:Image

The most amazing moment of the day was when an RAF Hercules transport plane rose magestically about The Cairnwell, it must have come up the valley and pulled up to aim for the transmitters, I got it and it's companion Hercules disappear off down the valley perpendicular to Glenshee (see the video)

Back atop the ridge on the way to The Cairnwell and yet another Ski tow:

The final munro - The Cairnwell is so weird with all of the buildings and transmitter masts.

Bumped into a fella at the top of this one too, who took my photo in amongst the clutter:

The weather was lush, the heat of the day gone and visibility was amazing. Another pano down the Glenshee pass towards Braemar:

View back to the ski centre - not far away!

The walkhighlands route sticks to the tracks but I saw a direct route to my car parked across the east side of the road in the large stoney car-park, so gunned it straight down the hill to the car. Great feeling to have 3 munros bagged in 3.5 hours!

A quick bite of dinner and then down to the carpark 2 km down the hill towards Braemar to park up and get some height for a wildcamp on Carn Aan Turic

Second half here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72704&p=350519#p350519
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Cairnwell on a hot May Day

Postby Briqual » Sun May 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Hercy burd? You must be ex military.

I got a cracking view of a Herc belting down Glen Isla on Saturday 27th May - must be an exercise on. I was well above it heading for Glas Maol after spending over an hour on top of Monega Hill but my camera was firmly lodged in my backpack. Opportunity missed.
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:173   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby larry groo » Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 am

Fine pics and write up!

We were camping down Glen Ey, same day.

What a scorcher indeed!

Here's a pic of said aircraft. :D

larry groo

Postby jwramsay » Tue May 30, 2017 7:32 am

Briqual wrote:Hercy burd? You must be ex military.

I got a cracking view of a Herc belting down Glen Isla on Saturday 27th May - must be an exercise on. I was well above it heading for Glas Maol after spending over an hour on top of Monega Hill but my camera was firmly lodged in my backpack. Opportunity missed.

Not ex-mil but very much into my aircraft.

I was near Glas Moal on Saturday morning and never saw this, I presume it was the afternoon?
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby Briqual » Tue May 30, 2017 7:05 pm

jwramsay wrote:
Briqual wrote:Hercy burd? You must be ex military.

Not ex-mil but very much into my aircraft.

I was near Glas Moal on Saturday morning and never saw this, I presume it was the afternoon?

Not entirely sure of the time but was certainly after 11am. Was probably at Little Glas Maol when I saw it.

I'm ex-Air Force so it brought the memories back. Which is another way of saying it reminded me of how old I'm getting :lol:
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:173   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland