walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich by Danny and Kylie Munro

Ben Vorlich by Danny and Kylie Munro

Postby greigo66 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 21/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 942m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the wettest climb yet .We drove up very early and parked on the side of the road just near the gate that leads to the tarmac road that takes you between Vorlich and Vane with the dam in front of us . We couldn't find the cairn that marks the start on the path so we walked about 200 m further up and just looked up through the rain spotted a steep but exciting gully and went for it ...The rain was off and on and although wet and slippy we enjoyed a good scramble up through the cliff . At one point Jav , behind me , gave out a small OMG and i turned to see the bolder that i had just clang to hurdled down the hill , as Jav had tried to clamber up it it gave way , it must have been about half a tone and made an awesome but frightening sound as it tumbled down the mountain . Once at the top of the outcrops we were met by a more gradual grassy slope which proved to be the main ball buster of the day. When we reached more rock we could choose many ways to go up , we actually chose the wong one but had a laugh scrambling through some caves and then doubled back to take a more sensible way up ... When at the top the wind and rain were driving so hard we could only stay there for a few moments , but we did go to the other cairn before making our way back down the path that we missed at the bottom . We stopped for some food and took our wet shorts off , yes shorts , were mental ( stupid) put our proofs on and followed the cool looking path weaving its way down to the missed cairn . We were drenched, and squigged our way back to the car where we rung ourselves out and headed back to glasgow for some liquid refreshment ,,, Although wet and windy this was one of my favourite climbs yet ! we had great fun but would put the proofs on from the beginning next time .....Danny and Kylie Munro
Stevie's pictures 004.JPG
Road up from roadside
Attachments
Stevie's pictures 028.JPG
Cave climbing
Stevie's pictures 035.JPG
The trail to the summit
Stevie's pictures 015.JPG
Jav with dam in the back
Stevie's pictures 012.JPG
Lone Tree Vane in Back ground
Stevie's pictures 010.JPG
The Scramble
Stevie's pictures 008.JPG
The dam ahead
Stevie's pictures 006.JPG
The way up !

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

greigo66
Mountaineer

Munros:22   

Re: Ben Vorlich by Danny and Kylie Munro

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Done this one in April when there was still some snow on the top. Was a great day. Big steep bugger though. :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Vorlich by Danny and Kylie Munro

Postby mountain coward » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:11 am

When I see the various dodgy and scary routes people have been taking up Vorlich lately, I'm glad I'm the navigator on our trips! Crazy! Like the pic of the tree on the hillside though...

Unless it's cold on the hill, I always think shorts are best in the rain anyway - your legs dry out very quickly and you don't have to wear clammy waterproof trousers...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland