walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Ghlo circuit

Beinn a'Ghlo circuit

Postby U059361 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 26/05/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got to the parking area after a diversion, point to note, my satnav didn't have the road on this side of the valley so I went the wrong way initially before realising and turning back and then having the interesting experience of driving over green stuff only and satnav telling me I was driving east. I got there at 8am having left Edinburgh before 6. The track to the wooden hut is good, but there was bog jumping for the keen if you want to go directly to the path up the hill. A wrong step here could ruin your day. I was at the first top at 9am, the second at 10am and the third at 12 midday.
ImageCarn Liath top to Beinn Mhaol ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn Mhaol with Beinn a'Ghlo in background by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCarn Liath from Beinn Mhaol by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBraigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCoire Chruinn-bhalgain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBraigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain to Beinn a'Ghlo by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBack to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn Liath by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn a'Ghlo view back by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Here I had my lunch while talking to a guy from Invergordon. He had already overtaken me and headed off over the next top to get back. I finished my lunch and headed back down to the bealach and the worn path along the valley back to the stalkers path.
ImageBealach an Fhiodha path back by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Some parts had been covered in peat washed down from the hillside and it was boggy on a regular basis. Eventually spotted the improved stalkers path and headed directly over to it. There were stones to get over the burn and a worn path along to the stalkers path.
ImageStalkers path to hills by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
From there back to the car seemed like an eternity although it is very easy walking and I was going as fast as my weary feet could carry me. It was hot and dusty and that didn't help. The path actually heads to the track end and that is leading further away from the hill which made it seem even longer than necessary.
ImageStalkers path divides by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBack on the track by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
However, I was really glad to get back and get my feet out of my boots. There was no steam but I felt there should have been. It was 2:45pm, I had been on my feet for 6.5 hours. Last week I walked the Pentlands and walked as far and climbed higher than this walk, so it is strange what perception will do, I didn't know these hills and expected more of a struggle, harder walking steeper slopes, but it didn't turn out that bad. Glad I did this walk as I can now look for other similar walks confident that I can do them.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland