walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorm outing

Cairngorm outing

Postby Benaden887 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Bhalg, Geallaig Hill, Mona Gowan, Pressendye, The Buck

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ladylea Hill

Date walked: 31/05/2017

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 32.7 km

Ascent: 2020m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Overall 32.7km 2020m 12hrs walking
Creag Bhalg 8.2km 400m 2.40hr
I reach Braemar for 1030pm . Park just down from the Victoria bridge. Still light here but darker on the other side of the Dee river. Sunrise 4am - Gear up - cross bridge, past Mar hall to reach the road to where a bridle path climbs the hill. The Cairngorms has only two Grahams, hopefully I will do them both this trip. Cross another track coming up from the Linn of Dee, follow forest edge to where the old fence is no more, but new rolls of wire lying here hint a new one. There`s the tree - a stark pointer for a hidden path in the deep heather. Ahead seems a large sign around the 600m mark, which turns into two solar panels on a metal frame. Technology. Soon the two stone cairns at the top. The weather clear and bright if cold, could be a good day. Great views here over the hills. Cairn Toul, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairngorm, Beinn a` Bhuird and Avon. All done long ago, involving big 10 to 12hr days. Hmm, then a swift return to car.

Geallaig Hill 6km 385m 2.00hr From Braenaldin on the B976 a 4x4 track winds uphill over sprawling heather moorland slopes, dotted with grouse butts until a massive cairn and trig point that is Gealaig Hill. The day is warming up and I take a look around at B.B, Avon and Lochnagar fondly recall its northern corries climbing days before heading back down.

Mona Gowan 6km 400m 2.40h
Park at the bridge gr 312626 - don my trainers - cross the road to the ruined farm buildings of Glenfenzie. Extensive tree felling here logs stacked up ready to move on. A broad track climbs Scraulac hill but I follow a lower one up the burn to Glen More. My path goes to the col atween Tom Liath and Mona. A broad track with new fencing hints of wind farm. I follow this N to another large Jubilee cairn with great views of Morven and the surrounding countryside. Eat and drink then back to the car. Cloud over the Cairngorms

Ladylea Hill. 2km 185m 45min Park at a forest fire break, over a deer fence then up thro new plantings to heather the rounded top, and small cairn. The views, kinda hemmed in by higher hills, the day still hot and clear. Demoted from the Graham`s list but still on my todo list, so easy trekking and so for the next one.

Pressandye 6.5km 350m 2.10h
Park down from Boig farm - trainers on - two fields 1 with white bull, next with mad cows we respect each other - to reach a barbed fence then into a spiky wood beside the forest. More barbed wire, cross a broad track to take a fire break cutting through the trees that leads to open slopes and a well constructed deer fence. Remain on S side and up thro a gate for a large cairn and trig point. Views of Lochnagar again, the tors of Ben Avon. Still hot but cooling breeze is most welcome. Drink - munch energy bar back to the cutting then climb a fence into the adjacent field so avoiding the spiky trees. Return to the car.

The Buck 4km 300m 1.40hr From the high point of the B9002 I cross fence thro heather with odd boggy section called Dry Know - follow the fence til a steeper section leads to crags, trig point and the Bucks cairn. Weather cooler, stronger wind and a return. Good start. Seen enroute, Deer sheep grouse birds - too many to name Had the hills to mysel
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland