walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last Munro - Beinn na Lap

Last Munro - Beinn na Lap

Postby maninblack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 03/06/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 562m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A long-anticipated day!

Many thanks to all who joined me at various stations along the way from Helensburgh Upper to walk up my final Munro, Beinn na Lap; it was also Catherine's final mainland Munro. And, the grandchildren - Daisy and Rosie - were doing their first Munro!

The train practically emptied itself at Corrour, and it soon became obvious that there were no fewer than THREE separate last Munro parties ascending the hill.

DSCN1962.JPG
Train party

DSCN1964.JPG
Ready for the off

It was dry as we got away from the station, but soon turned wet and quite cool. Fortunately this didn't last too long, and the weather improved and became quite sunny at times as made our way in leisurely fashion up the hill - the other parties going on ahead.

Catherine and I were asked to stop just before the final rise, and wait! Up until this moment I hadn't suspected any skulduggery, so was quite taken aback. It seemed pretty quiet on the hill, and so we suspected that the other parties had descended by another route. Imagine our surprise on cresting the last pull to the summit to find that both other parties had waited for us - very kind, and much appreciated. Even the piper offered to play another tune just for us! The others soon drifted away as we enjoyed cake and photos at the top.

DSCN1973.JPG
The summit party

By now the weather was looking quite threatening, and we decided that a quick descent was in order. Not a moment too soon - as we left the summit ridge behind, the thunderstorms started.

DSCN1976.JPG
Scary weather

Anyway, we all got down safely for a lovely tea at The Station House. I must say that they coped admirably with the huge influx of soggy customers; we had booked, but I am not sure about the others. Apparently their busiest ever day.

As can be imagined, the weather was quite benign by the time we all came out to catch the train home!

DSCN1977.JPG
Leum Uilleim as seen from Corrour - on the Corbett list!

All-in-all, a great day.
maninblack
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:197
Fionas:69   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:43   Islands:32

Re: Last Munro - Beinn na Lap

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Fantastic achievement.
Proud day I bet.
Congratulations :clap:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Last Munro - Beinn na Lap

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Beautiful moving report. :clap: :clap: :clap: Wonderful to see that so many folk are living this wonderful landscape.

I think there are too many less than wholly inspiring Munros for me to think I'll ever to be able to summon the motivation to compleat; but it's great to share vicariously the pleasure. If anything could motivate me to compleat, it is reports like this :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland