walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mind the Sheep

Mind the Sheep

Postby John Pow » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Route description: Bishop Hill circular from Holl Reservoir

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bishop Hill

Date walked: 31/05/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having recently retired I am starting to explore the local walking routes. I read about this on Walkhighlands and thought I would give it a try. While there are some small climbs the route is a pleasant walk and easy to navigate. The paths were mostly well marked and of reasonable quality. I walked it after a long dry spell and suspect that the quality of some of the paths will deteriorate quickly after rain. You get an idea of the terrain from this photo across to West Lomond (which is not part of the route):

DSC_3497.jpg
West Lomond

One word of warning is that there are sheep everywhere! Some parts of the walk go through fields but there are sheep wandering about on all the paths. I had my dogs with me and they are very well trained but I felt obliged to keep them on the lead all the time. The good thing was that I managed to get some nice photos of the farm animals:

DSC_3507.jpg
sheep

DSC_3464.jpg
Cows

The walk up the Bishop is mostly through open countryside and you are rewarded with some great views over Fife to the Firth of Forth. Once up on top of the hill the views are down to Loch Leven and Kinross and these were well worth the effort of the climb, as you can see below:

DSC_3477.jpg
Views to Loch Lomond

A new path has been laid on the section back to Harperleas Reservoir, this is mostly flat and gives a good opportunity to check out the local wildlife, unfortunately none of my photos taken here are of a quality that I would publish. The Final section back to the car park is mostly through open fields again full of sheep! I took 3 hours to do the walk at an easy pace. I will definitely do it agin and would recommend it to other.
John Pow
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland