walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two for the price of one - not quite textbook on Streap

Two for the price of one - not quite textbook on Streap

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Route description: Streap, near Glenfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Streap

Date walked: 14/05/2017

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 20.16 km

Ascent: 1553m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Colin's offer of Streap was too tempting after a day of bad weather on Saturday. We opted for a late start as the weather was set to improve so met at the classy meeting place of the Crianlarich bogs before continuing together.

Banter flowed freely, as did the rain, on and off, as we crossed rannoch moor, made it unhindered through fort William and arrived at our start point a few miles short of glenfinnan. As we arrived another car was just leaving, so they had either had an early start or a late night!

It was raining heavily when we arrived so we elected to stay inside to wait it out ; nae point starting out wet! However, when the rain stopped, the midges started so Boots were laced quickly and mushy spray was inducted into my pre walk routine for the first time this year. Happy days...

Now ready to go, Colin released the hounds and we were off. Our first problem was getting through the gate - only flat Stanley would be able to fit, fortunately the vehicle section opened so we were able to progress!

It was an easy walk along a track initially. We were walking quickly enough to leave the midges behind and everything was very pretty. The dogs were running around and enjoying their freedom. Soon enough the rain returned and eventually we had to give in and stop for waterproofs.

We reached the point in the track where we were to leave it made our way through a gate. There was a vague path crossing the hillside which we followed before starting to off road a bit. There was an option to climb demoted Corbett Beinn an Tuim but we decided to give it a miss :lol:

Looking back

Looking ahead to our descent route

The rain had stopped and climbing uphill had become hot work so we lost the waterproofs. We followed our noses, heading uphill, weaving in between craggy outcrops and generally steeply up.

Deer

Backwards again

Wet dug

Streap itself still hiding

Neither of us was paying much attention to where we were going (other than up) as we were too busy talking, so we were a bit confused when faced with crags ahead...checking the map we realised that we were actually heading up the demoted Corbett after all :lol: so figured we may as well do it properly!

Deer leading the way

Looking back to Loch Shiel

Gulvain peeking out the cloud

Up was much less frustrating than down, so we picked out a route and went for it. The last bit was a scramble up a steep gully which reminded me a little too much of Garbh Bheinn but we made it and it was an easy wander over a couple of false summits to the top of Beinn an Tuim.

It may not be a Corbett anymore but it was a fabulous viewpoint and well worth climbing anyway.

Harry Potter Bridge

Now back on the ridge we were assaulted by the full force of the wind, so I jumped around trying to keep warm while Colin tried to get the dogs to pose for photos :lol:

The ridge ahead

Nevis

Zoomed

We set off again, steeply down to the bealach where we ought to have come up to. The weather was lovely and (although I wouldn't admit it at the time) I couldn't care less that we'd gone over an extra summit. But it was too much fun blaming Colin for going wrong :lol:

Ahead

Now we were on the ridge the going seemed easier, and although the terrain was rocky and unpredictable there was something of a path. We joked that we must be in the wrong place as Corbetts never had paths :lol: My legs had been complaining as I'd accidentally cycled 45km the night before so they were pleased at the easing.

The views were stunning and quite easily took my mind off the steep ups and downs as we wound our way along the ridge.

Glenfinnan munros and Beinn Sgritheall behind

Streap just peeking out

It was a decent distance but the hills in this area are so enjoyable so it was no chore. Banter was still flowing too. I do love being on my own in the hills but it's also really nice to have someone other than myself to talk to sometimes :lol:

The narrow bit

Streap and Loch Arkaig hills behind

Eventually we arrived at the final approach to the summit. The ridge narrowed significantly and became much more exciting. The high winds spiced it up nicely although there was never any exposure or need for worry.

Looking back along the ridge

All too soon it was over and we arrived at the summit, although we didn't realise it at the time. I thought we were at the highest point and after a map check we realised we were! Huzzah!!

Loch Arkaig

Streap Comhlaidh with Nevis behind

Sgurr nan Coireachan

Sgurr nan Coireachan & Sgurr Thuilm

Glenfinnan munros & Glen Dessary hills

Streap Comhlaidh & Gulvain

Gulvain & Loch Arkaig

Streap summit

We ducked out the wind and settled down for some lunch in a sheltered spot. I say lunch...it was about 4pm :lol: The dogs wanted to eat my sandwiches :lol:

Wee Jura

We were actually very glad we'd stopped as a big rain shower must've missed us by a matter of metres, but made for some cool photos.

Loch Eil and Fort William

Eventually we were starting to get cold, well I was as I'd stupidly not added any layers :lol: so we got moving again. Turned out there was an easier route off the summit than we took but that would've been boring :crazy:

Colin wandered off to be dramatic while I was snapping photos.

The ridge ahead and Nevis

The ridge continued to be interesting all the way up to the top of Steap Na... which was also a pretty special viewpoint, and we were treated to what I dubbed a "Gulvain-bow"

Pretty light

Streap, Glenfinnan hills and Glen Dessary

Gulvain and beyond

From here it was downhill...and pretty steeply at that. We took our time (well I certainly did ) not wanting any accidents or knee troubles. Although it was steep it was certainly direct and we lost height quickly. It had turned into a glorious afternoon and evening so stopping for pictures was no hardship.

Going down

Looking back up

Finally reaching the bottom, it became somewhat boggy as we hopped over big ruts in the track. Fortunately it soon became easier underfoot and we reached the bridge. It was a nice spot for a photo and here is Colin trying to take a better one than mine... :lol:

Looking back to the ridge

From here it was an easy walk along to the bothy where we popped in for a nosey and a nice chat with a guy who had just arrived.

It was now very warm and the lack of wind now we were sheltered in the Glen was tiring us out. Fortunately it was an easy walk back along the track, across the bridge to where we first left the track earlier and then retracing our steps to the car.

Dug photobombing

Looking at the time we realised we had 90 mins to get past bridge of orchy or we'd be diverted through Oban :shock: We quickly piled dogs and people into the car and made it through easily, despite caravans and Sunday drivers doing their best to scupper our plans.

Cheers to Colin for the company and here's to Corbetts, demoted or otherwise :lol:

Streap.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Two for the price of one - not quite textbook on Streap

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Great pictures great hill Jaxter. I went up Streap starting from Glenfinnan going under the railway bridge. A good route also. Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great pictures great hill Jaxter. I went up Streap starting from Glenfinnan going under the railway bridge. A good route also. Cheers :D

Ah nice one, I went that way when I did those 2 Munro's, so was nice to have a different start this time. Great hill tho :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby tall-story » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:16 am

And you gave me such a ribbing for taking you up the scenic route as well :wink: and all the time you were secretly having a ball :D Thanks again for a braw day oot doing what we love, scrambling around on the hills :thumbup:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:47 pm

It looks a lovely pointy hill that one! Only just short of Munro height, I believe - and it looks it.
Great report - grand photos too; some lovely cloudscapes :clap: .
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:39 am

tall-story wrote:And you gave me such a ribbing for taking you up the scenic route as well :wink: and all the time you were secretly having a ball :D Thanks again for a braw day oot doing what we love, scrambling around on the hills :thumbup:

Oh but it was so much fun winding you up :lol: :lol: :lol:

bobble_hat_kenny wrote:It looks a lovely pointy hill that one! Only just short of Munro height, I believe - and it looks it.
Great report - grand photos too; some lovely cloudscapes :clap: .

Aye it felt like hard work, but I think all the hills around there are :wink: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland