walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summit Failure....Stuc a`Chroin

Summit Failure....Stuc a`Chroin

Postby steven65 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Date walked: 23/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today began with great intentions , despite the weather , and never came through - too bad.
It`s a pity we can`t arrange the weather to suit our off days / holidays eh. I`d intended to climb Stuc a` Chroin with my mate Steven - he`d taken me up Ben Vorlich in April this year as my 1st Munro - but we couldn`t do Stuc that day due to conditions.
So we aimed to do it today . We arrived at Ardvorlich at 715am & were off 10 mins later in a constant downpour
( as promised)it didn`t let up untill we were coming back down.The weather was trully pants.
Leaving the car we spoke to an estate worker who said we`d be fine as the " shoot " was on in the next glen - Fin Glen / Beinn Bhan , and as we returned down to the car later we could hear some shots.
Anyway , we set off high in spirits along with Oskar - as usual , up on the track going up into Coire Buidhe and continuing on , missing the left branch towards Ben Vorlich - continuing over & round to Stuc.
The rain never relented & as we rounded into Coire Fhuadaraich a bitting wind picked up , great. The Coire was awash with rainfall & made for very heavy going.We slogged along the poor muddy track and made for the start of the boulder field as Steven was looking forward to the final climb up the scramble route.
Unfortunately it was a bit too wet , others may have continued in the conditions but we didn`t . We desended back down into the coire on the R/H side, hoping to ascend via the visible path on that side & continued on . However the rain & wind worsened , time now was also a factor as Steven had to be back home early for a house sale engagement. So we came off the scree slopes & returned via Coire Fhuadariach onto Coire Buidhe leading back down. Admittedly the rain eased a wee bit here , we had a quick chat with a guy coming up on his own , looking back at him later he had turned left & taken the route up to Ben Vorlich , he said he`d wait & see if it was going to clear before he made his way up. We then passed 2 young guys also going up Vorlich , who asked which way to go :? and i`m relatively new to this too - but try to do my homework - weather included LOL.
So back down to the car & home , not a wasted morning ,a good work out in poor conditions , as folk say the hills will be there when we are not !
I`ll post some fotos asap
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Summit Failure....Stuc a`Chroin

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Really sorry for you there - there are just some hills which seem to do that - we had 3 attempts at the very simple Esk Pike in the Lake District but were beaten back by several kinds of impossible weather too before we managed it. Well done for turning back though - hope you get a great day for it next time :D
mountain coward

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 pm

That's crappy hun. I''ve done Ben Tirran (Corbett in Angus) 3 times and every time the weathers been so naff you wouldnt believe. There will be loads n loads of time, and when you finally get this Stuc hill done, you will be feel it like you've never before :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alan S » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Nae luck there steven and probably wise to turn back.
Would be keen to see the pics as i was on Buachaille etive mor yesterday and the weather was great except the high winds at times although there seemed to be a lot more cloud down that way :)
Big Bookil 5.JPG
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby steven65 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for your words "guys".............. been off line whilst on holiday , so couldn`t reply till now.

MC , yeah a nice day will be fine to complete this..........probably in 2011 though , October & November look busy

Merry Walker - the man who made time made lots of it !! I`ll just need to wait & it`ll come round eh ! :D

Alan S - i`ll hopefully stick on a couple of fotos over the weekend mate.

If you`re out & about be dry !
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby steven65 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:19 pm

alan s wrote:Nae luck there steven and probably wise to turn back.
Would be keen to see the pics as i was on Buachaille etive mor yesterday and the weather was great except the high winds at times although there seemed to be a lot more cloud down that way :)
Big Bookil 5.JPG

Hi Alan , eventually - here`s a few "wet" picture from my morning up on Stuc a` Chroin
Steven

Ben Vorlich - hiding
on the track leading to Stuc looking at Coire Fhuadaraich
Stuc a` Chroin
Still in the mist
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby frickletonh » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 pm

We were up last Sunday from Callendar end - 1st munro for four of us - was an absolutely fantastic day
Attachments
X4045.JPG
Cairn at top
frickletonh
Mountaineer

Munros:101   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:4   

Postby csjoiner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:49 am

you did right to turn back i did the same last week it was hard enought getting onto vorlich and the look of stuc a chroin turned my stomach i don;t suppose its name translates to peak of danger or terror for nothing well done for getting there in the end
csjoiner
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland