walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Affric Corbetts from Strawberry Cottage

Glen Affric Corbetts from Strawberry Cottage

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Route description: Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh and Aonach Shasuinn, Affric

Corbetts included on this walk: Aonach Shasuinn, Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 13/05/2017

Distance: 19.7 km

Ascent: 1273m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These two Corbetts were the main reason for going to this AMC meet, held at Strawberry Cottage in Glen Affric. With us unable to travel by car to the cottage meant that I was to climb the two hills then leave Theresa at the main Glen Affric car park as she was to be heading back to Glasgow and pick up my car and then drive back to the cottage as we had now got a key to the previously locked gate.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1a.JPG
The view which greeted us from Strawberry cottage, low cloud over the hills to be climbed question was would it burn off in time for the summit views.
4.JPG
Heading East along the Yellow Brick Road to where there is a feint path climbing up on the hillside
5.JPG
The hills at the back of the cottage also had a good covering of cloud
6.JPG
Ah that looks like the path shown on the OS map
7.JPG
Looking back to the bay at the West end of Loch Affric where there is a jetty and a new build building. Looks a fine camping spot and when we passed last night there were quite a few tents erected there
8.JPG
Higher up on one of the ledges where the path was formed
9.JPG
The start of the cloud burn off on the hills on the North side of the Loch
10.JPG
A pose from T with the ridge we would walk later on in the day in the background
11.JPG
Much higher up and still on a reasonable path high above the tree line
13.JPG
Much closer to the summit at this point with the underfoot conditions very much more rocky
14.JPG
Theresa at the summit cairn first after what can only be called foul play as the Rodmiester is barged off balance in mid step, is there nothing she won't do to get to the cairn first
16.JPG
Pals again at the summit cairn
17.JPG
Further along the summit there is another large stone construction which is positioned near a dyke
18.JPG
With the cloud starting to burn off we follow the line of fence posts for a while
19.JPG
Time for a pose and a bite to eat where it is slightly more sheltered. After this there are some considerable peat hags to be negotiated which may cause a problem after much rain
20.JPG
The long ridge we have to travel to get to the second Corbett
21.JPG
Yes it's away along there, better just get moving along
23.JPG
A nice wee lochan en route
24.JPG
Looking towards our second Corbett with a bit of a drop in between
25.JPG
Another peat hag area but no problems here all quite dried up
27.JPG
The summit cairn on the second Corbett
28.JPG
The summit shelter on Aonach Shasuinn overlooking Loch Affric
29.JPG
At the summit cairn
30.JPG
Coming off theNorth East shoulder and heading for the path on the East side of the Alit Garbh which is not recogniseable as its now an eight meter wide bulldozed track with huge plastic water pipes sitting along side ready to be dug into the ground
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glen Affric Corbetts from Strawberry Cottage

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 pm

a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG
d.JPG
e.JPG
f.JPG
g.JPG
h.JPG
ha.JPG
hb.JPG
hc.JPG
hd.JPG
he.JPG
hf.JPG
hg.JPG
hh.JPG
hj.JPG
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm afraid the last few posted pictures rather spoilt my hill day. I just cannot imagine how this is being allowed to happen in such a wonderful stunningly beautiful area :( :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Have looked at doing these two a few times so when we get round to it this will come in handy. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:18 pm

It's very, very sad, what's happening up there. It looks worse close up than from the track below :(
I used to look forward to every visit to Glen Affric, even if just for the walk around the loch, but now... Just heartbreaking :(

I can't help thinking back to how this lovely upper glen looked before it was destroyed... Such a quiet, remote, wild area, with just a grassy track and a humming river...
2014:
2015:

BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:15 pm

BlackPanther wrote:It's very, very sad, what's happening up there. It looks worse close up than from the track below :(
I used to look forward to every visit to Glen Affric, even if just for the walk around the loch, but now... Just heartbreaking :(

I can't help thinking back to how this lovely upper glen looked before it was destroyed... Such a quiet, remote, wild area, with just a grassy track and a humming river...
2014:
2015:

Love your old photographs, as it should be :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:44 am

It was a great day, better weather than expected. Great to stay in the cottage. Excellent location for those 2 corbetts.

I cant recall the foul play bit though :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby KatTai » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 pm

First part looks lovely, 2nd part...not so :( It's not an area high on my to-visit list. After hearing my aunt go on about how lovely Loch Affric was (she had a holiday near there years ago pre-hydro scheme), I decided to make the trip up. Wish I hadn't bothered, tried walking but listening to heavy machinery isn't my idea of a pleasant walk. Ended up heading back and going to look for Nessie instead LOL!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:45 pm

KatTai wrote:First part looks lovely, 2nd part...not so :( It's not an area high on my to-visit list. After hearing my aunt go on about how lovely Loch Affric was (she had a holiday near there years ago pre-hydro scheme), I decided to make the trip up. Wish I hadn't bothered, tried walking but listening to heavy machinery isn't my idea of a pleasant walk. Ended up heading back and going to look for Nessie instead LOL!

Hi KatTai, first part :D second part :shock: :( so very distressing. Good luck with your Nessie hunt :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland