walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich Loch Earn sunshine & showers

Ben Vorlich Loch Earn sunshine & showers

Postby desmondo1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 04/06/2017

Time taken: 4.35 hours

Distance: 11.26 km

Ascent: 945m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Vorlich.JPG

Ben Vorlich
Today was my 2nd outing with the KRC and as we drove to our destination I was wondering if I was the weather jinx on them or vice versa. The forecast was for heavy showers but this was a lot more consistent than a shower. However, when we approached the start at Lochearnhead it had eased off and some blue sky appeared in the direction of our walk.
The walk was Ben Vorlich, a Munro at 985 metres. Munro baggers will most likely combine Vorlich with Stuc a’ Chroin but we were only intending a straight up and down.
Breaking out.JPG

We parked near Ardvorlich house with quite a few cars around already. Wet gear on and the group headed through the estate track, through a few gates and out onto open land.
It is a straightforward hill with a clear track from start to finish and going by today is a popular route. The walk up Glen Vorlich gives clear views of the objective ahead.
Typical gradient.JPG

There is not a lot to write about as it is simply a case of a constant uphill walk gaining height at a steady rate, quite comfortable. The track is a reasonable stone and shingle route but if you stepped off this the grass and worn areas were muddy and slippy, more of which later. A couple of wooden bridges have seen better days so take care crossing them. Two runners have passed us by never to be seen again and now a mountain biker, half cycling/pushing and half carrying the bike.
Ben Our.JPG

Ben Our
The main rainfalls thankfully had now passed, some gear removed, but plenty of showers still around. In the good weather there are views of the flanks of Ben Our on the right. There is a slight track heading that way that I had not noticed on the map but walkers on it.
Final steep section.JPG

Final section approaches
We have now reached the final and steepest section but you can see the trig from here. For me this section was a 20 minute head down plod up the zigzagging track. I just keep thinking of the biker with the bike across his shoulders going up this, fit bloke.
Trig ridge.jpg

The trig
At the trig there is a short ridge walk to the slightly impressive cairn where we chat to the biker who is just about to descend. Heavily padded just in case of accidents. Good luck to him.
Cairn.JPG

It took me 2 hours 25 to summit, longer than I expected but we had stopped for a tea break which on solo walks I would not have done.
From the top the effort is worth it as the views are excellent in all directions: amongst others Ben Lawers & Schiehallion can be seen to the north; the waters of the Firth of Forth glistening with I believe the Lomond Hills beyond; directly behind us the other Munro Stuc a’ Chroin and to the west Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps.
Stuc a'Chroin.JPG

Stuc a' Chroin
We get out of the wind and what a fine place it is to enjoy lunch. Other people arrive including two young girl runners who hop about a bit taking in the view then run off towards Ben Our.
lunch with a view.JPG

The descent I found harder that the ascent. Twice I slipped, without damage except to my pride and muddy trousers, first on wet ground and then the scree. Concentration was full now on.
Looking back.JPG

The rain stayed off for the descent but the passing clouds and light gave ever changing views of the countryside to the north.
A good but long day. Time taken was 4 hours 35 including our food stops. Ascent was 3100 feet (945m) and distance walked was just under 7 miles (11.26k).
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Re: Ben Vorlich Loch Earn sunshine & showers

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Nice one. A good day out. I can sometimes go miles and miles without falling over then as soon as I come across other people I will do a spectacular tumble. :oops:
Sunset tripper

Postby desmondo1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:16 pm

Agreed and I am sure it won't be my last. :lol:
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby Coop » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:32 am

Some people say to me " did you have a good day on the hills " and normally I'll say.

"Yep I didn't have to get the Waterproofs out"

And

"I didn't fall on my erse" :D
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland