walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnsmore of Carspairn my first Border Corbett

Cairnsmore of Carspairn my first Border Corbett

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 am

Route description: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Corbetts included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Date walked: 26/05/2017

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 657m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very early start meant getting up back of four o'clock and getting through Glasgow early as the intention was to get two Corbetts completed then head off to the campsite in Galloway which was to be my base for the weekend and climb the other two Corbetts before returning home on the Monday.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
After passing a cottage on your right and then passing through a gate with a pedestrian gate alongside you follow the track down to the riverside. Now to drive down the road to Corserine the second Corbett of the day, and to think its only near 11.00am
1a.jpg
Spaces for two cars at the end of the road, there are additional ones on the other side of the road but the junction is difficult to emerge from as it's on a bend
2.JPG
Willieanna in the background with Craig of Knockgray in the foreground
3.jpg
Looking back down the track towards Green Well of Scotland
4.jpg
I walked beyond the Benloch Burn and took the track around Willieanna until the next burn then climbed up the South West flank of Dunool 541m
5.jpg
A short sharp climb at an angle took me to this dry stone dyke which I followed
6.jpg
From the cairn on Dunool looking towards Cairnsmore of Carsphairn in the distance, just follow the dyke
7.jpg
Looking back down to Dunool from Black shoulder
8.jpg
Follow the fence posts
9.jpg
As you climb the summit becomes more rocky. The summit mast and cairn.
10.jpg
The mast
11.jpg
The trig point in 1.5 hours
12.jpg
Looking back down South East towards Dunool
13.jpg
The bridge at the start over the Polsue Burn
14.jpg
The notice board back at the starting point
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland