walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ramsay's Round

Ramsay's Round

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr, Beinn na Lap, Ben Nevis, Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Càrn Mòr Dearg, Chno Dearg, Mullach nan Coirean, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr, Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Bàn (Mamores), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire a' Chàirn, Stob Coire an Laoigh, Stob Coire Easain, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 28/05/2017

Time taken: 23.1 hours

Distance: 93 km

Ascent: 8700m

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ramsay Round: 28th May 2017
Jim Loudon & Matt Beresford.
The Ramsay’s Round:

route-8.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Brief history: July 1978, Charlie Ramsay achieved his dream of circuiting all the Lochaber Mountains in a single day. This route and challenge has become known as Ramsay’s Round. In Summary, the Ramsay’s Round is a running challenge with the aim to cover the 56 miles, 24 Munro’s and ascend 28,500ft in under 24 hours. At the time of our attempt, 101people had completed it in contrast to the Bob Graham (The Cumbrian equivalent) 2,055 people have completed.
Motivation
Why would you do this? Good question. Main reason – we love the hills/fells/mountains: being in them and on them. I had ran on the fells of Cumbria but never actually considered myself a Fell runner. In 2011 I plucked up the courage to give a Bob Graham (BG) ago and despite fairly challenging conditions managed to do it. Never ever thought I would have done a BG. Never. In 2015 I did my Joss Naylor Challenge, again never thought I’d do something like that either and to complete within the challenging 12 hour time: wow! I suppose the moral here is, I’m not the fastest, nor the fittest or the strongest but you never know what you can achieve until you try. What’s the worst that can happen – you fail – but at least you tried and at least you know. For me, the Ramsay’s Round represented my personal Everest. To be able to run over arguably the finest mountains in Scotland with my running mates supported by my family – what’s not to like?
Preparation
I suppose in a way after my BG I never stopped running. In fact, over the last year, I have been running more. Last year I tracked the progress of fellow runner Joe Williams around his RR and really was inspired. When Joe was running with us he said, without reservation, that we (Matt Beresford and myself) were more than capable of doing it. Why not give it a go. To me, that was the touch paper moment. Lets to go for it. Over the winter we increased our miles. My wife Andrea, had agreed to support me in this, but training would not start until 2017 – till then weekends would be ‘normal’. From Jan 1st 2017, the mileage and the time on the fells increased. By March, we were managing weekly mileage of 40+ with, more importantly, a lot of hills trying to get a minimum of++> 10,000 ft of ascent weekly – on many occasions we did that in one run. I also notes Charlie’s comment – spend long days on the hills: 6,8, 10 even 12 hours: we did.
The running was the easy part – logistics was the tough nut to crack and most would agree on that. Getting up to recce the route, planning accommodation, getting fellow runners to commit to the weekend – indeed agreeing a suitable weekend was all part of the complex plan. Agreeing the date was perhaps the watershed moment to seal the commitment. That and booking and paying for the ‘Team Caravan’ in Glen Nevis. Once money has changed hands – there is no turning back!
Gradually, the jigsaw became constructed. We had our support team arranged, they all knew what the plan was, and we booked a Tracker from Open Tracking – Game on.
For the majority of RR’s, they are single person attempts – one person doing it either alone or supported. We had opted to do this together, for a number of reasons. The logistics of me doing it and then Matt doing it later would mean asking rather a lot from those supporting so it just seemed easier. The challenge: will you match each other on the day? Will one be stronger? Will one hold the other back? You will never know – till you do it but we would do our best to stick together and to the schedule: that would be the decider: if one of us was compromising completing within the time then we would have to split to allow the other to succeed – I think we both thought this, but never actually voiced it. Failure was not for discussion.
We had recce’d the route twice – once from Dalwhinninie (A Kendal AC run weekend) – we started at Fersit and Recee’d leg 2 and the Easain’s of Leg 1 – weather was not good so we ran it but saw little. The second was a weekend in Glen Nevis where we recce’d Leg 3 (Mamores and back to the Youth Hostel. Again: weather could have been better and a second day – Leg 1 from Ben Nevis but the weather was so bad we bailed after doing a very ….. very scary CMD arête. Matt had to head back but the next day I continued that recce, starting at the Aonach’s and completed all the Grey Corries then back down the Nevis Valley to The Motorhome. Final recce was doing the ‘Ring of Steall’ with my wife Andrea – cold, but by jings it was clear and totally met the brief of a good recce. On reflection, we felt that we had a really clear idea of what was expected and the route – all except two key weak spots – the so called ‘Spink’s ridge off Aonoch Beag to the Grey Corries and how to get off the forest track at the end to meet the road safely. Matt and I had tried to do this one and I was almost impaled on a spike of a fallen tree- and I’m being serious – absolutely bricked myself when I realised how close I had been to becoming a kebab!!!
CMD arete - April
Happy Days - CMD
Ring of Steall - with Andrea (April 17)
We booked a 3 bed caravan at Glen Nevis Caravan and Camping Park – mainly (OK – because) it was right beside the start. 6 beds for (potentially) 14 people was always going to be optimistic – but hey ho – it’s a roof over our heads, it has a kitchen and plenty of floor space – the downside is – one toilet and one shower! Hmm….
View from Base Camp
It’s all about the run – yes true, however logistics is the thing that makes it happen. The recce’s had helped and we divided the team into the three legs.
Leg 1: was going to be tough – night time – 3 to 4 hours in the dark, would be great if clear but we had to consider clag and poor weather so we picked Dan Duxbury on Nav (who I believe has a GPS fitted into his head – because he just knows where he is and usually is correct), Jacob Snochowski (amazing fit,fast, endurance runner) who would be the pack horse and Joe Williams, who had done the round the previous year.
Leg 2: Mark Roscoe (ex-marine) who would be nav and knew legs 1 and 3 well but wanted to experience Leg 2 – fair enough, David White – same – very experienced and not familiar with 2, Michelle Foxwell – who would be my support, pack horse and spiritual advisor and Jim Tyson – camera man and Matts pack horse.
Leg 3: Daz Moore and Andrew Cox (who I truly believe should get their own sit-com on TV), Chris Lumb (who knew Leg 3 intimately having supported a Winter attempt and scared the crap out of everyone when because they took so long – you’re never going to run fast when you are wading through snow!!!). Road support on Leg 3 was Phil and Sue Clark. They would come in on the Kinlochleven track but I was sad that Phil, who did his RR 20 years previous and knows these hills, would not be joining us. Phil is the voice of knowledge and reason, for that reason we were blessed by his support. Sue adds positivity and support: a great team. Then there was also Eddie Daltry – he really should have a separate section but its maybe correct to say – you really never know where he is going to go or pop up next – anywhere and it seems everywhere! Mr Bothy! The support team run for either Kendal AC or Ambleside AC and very experienced runners and almost all have done their BG. Last but certainly not least Richard Holliday (North Cumbria), who although young (nothing wrong with that – I was once) and no previous experience on these particular Scottish hills had proved more than capable when we were doing our training in Cumbria and it was great to have him join us. I might also add that his Grand Father is Eric Roberts – A Fell Running Legend and among other things- Number 13 in the Bob Graham 24 hour club and long-time friend of Joss Naylor ! So, he has the legs AND the genes!
Added to this: My dear wife Andrea and my twa bairns: Kathryn and Keir, who would provide the support on leg 1, make all my sandwiches and food and generally look after everyone. I will say at this point – they excelled themselves in all areas. The highest commendation was awarded.
Jim & Matt’s Ramsay’s Round
So, I travelled up on the Friday night with Andrea, Chris Lumb + his wife Viv in their camper whilst Matt was going to leave Kendal in the Saturday morning – add to this the M74 roadworks at Hamilton, Loch Lomond on a Bank Holiday and the high risk driving style of Dan Duxbury which for legal reasons I will just mention in passing……
By Saturday night – all the team were present, the plan was discussed and we made ready for midnight. It’s fair to say that Matt and I approached the start different mentally: Matt was reflective, quiet, had a sleep and got his head in the zone deciding to get ready about 11.40pm whilst I in contrast had drunk too much coffee, could not sleep, spoke at a speed no-one could understand, killed all the midges in the caravan at 11.40pm and could not sit on his @rse!
The weather in the previous week had been quite simply sublime! HOWEVER, this was to change and T&L was forecast – the question was when and would it stop? This never actually transpired but it was clear that Leg 1 would be wet, poor visibility, the temperature would drop and it would get windy – all came to pass!
Fast forward…. After many months of thinking about it the time had come and it just seemed surreal. Everyone was there to see us off: were we really not going to be back here and be running for 24 hours??? Really????
Two years ago I did my Joss Naylor, whilst the objective was to complete the main driver was to raise money for Macmillan as a colleague and friend, who had herself been a fell runner lost her long and brave battle with cancer that year. I organised a tracker just so those who had put money on this horse could see it run. The feedback was very positive so we hired a Tracker again from @Open Tracking’ again for our RR. Being the organised eager beaver who had consumed way too much coffee I decided that I should turn the Tracker on at 23.07 – just to make sure I could, that it worked, that it picked up the GPS signal and that the online Tracker linked worked.
Ping sorted – oh what a clever lad I am…… What I hadn’t realised was that it had started the clock and as far as the website was concerned – we started running at 23.07!!! All at Glen Nevis failed to notice this small but really quite significant point!
Waiting for midnight

Leg 1: At 12.00 – We got the call: Go! Head torch on, watch started - start running: and so, it had begun.
Bizarre feeling when you start – this is it. The moment we have been anticipating has arrived and we are doing it. No more imagination required, just effort.
We ascended The Ben: it started warm, humid and dry. We wore shorts and t-shirts but clothes and full body cover on our backs- it was just a question of when they would be taken out not if. Passing the last few Ben descenders the drizzle started – too warm to put a jacket on we took the race route to Red Burn where the water bottles were filled. We opted for the direct route up rather than the tourist route – these cuts save > 1 mile on the Ben ascent. I will repeat this many times – Dan Dux was quite amazing at navigating us through the dark, wet, claggy night although I had GPS and checked our progress – he was always bang on.
Ascending The Ben - perfect conditions
Image[/url]
Red Burn - water bottle fill
Ben Nevis- bearing for CMD
The Ben was reached 5 mins over schedule: 1 hour 30 mins. Next – CMD in 35 minutes. This was never going to happen but we tried. Having recce’d this 3 times and always in dense clagg I still did not have this route in my mind’s eye. Dan, amazingly weaved his way over the wet slippy boulders till we passed the cairn stone marking the start of the arête. It was now wet, windy and the visibility was poor. Powerful head torches bounce the light back making visibility even worse. Normally, we take them off and carry them waist high. That difference in angle makes the light more helpful as its not lighting up the drizzle right of front of your eyes but because the CMD arête is so technically challenging – we couldn’t. We took the parallel path as much as we could but there was still a lot of the arête that we had to run on. It was so treacherous and I know I slipped many times and had two big falls. Wearing only shorts – the cuts were appearing.
Although pleased to see the CMD cairn (1220m) I knew the descent involved just as many boulders and slabs and sure enough down I went and really pranged my right glut on a rock. It’s like getting a dead leg and anyone who has done this knows, not only is it painful but its really not a thing that you have a chuckle over. In these conditions we just had to keep going and try and get it back. We were now 25 mins behind schedule.
Dan hit the wall at the Bealach spot on. We split up in a line to ascend the Aonach’s – we knew the path was beside the burn but could see and hear nothing other than the wind and rain. Path spotted we all filed in behind each other to ascend – great path. Drink: eat: drink eat – repeat until cairn reached then off to Aonach Mor. Seems weird – 6 miles and almost 3 hours in this was the first time we had actually ran as fell runners! Top done, path to A Beag. As we approached the summit we were aware of the clag getting lighter – dawn was approaching. I might also add there were some very scary drop off on our left with serious cornices – keep right lads.
The next section, over to Stob Coire Bhealaich is crux to success. We had to find a way off this ridge and it was still not light enough and the clag was really not helping. I had found this way once before but never marked it. We did our best and Matt felt he found the way and we followed. I should have said keep more to the right but we were heading down…….. the wrong way….. OK – options: back up or contour round – contour round. This was a challenge and we met a number of serious drops and had to down climb a few wet slabs that on reflection I would have been happier not to! Eventually, we came to a fence post that I recognised for recce’s and knew we were back on it. 15 mins lost though…
Sgurr Choinnich Mor ascent
Dan skirted Sgurr Choinnich Beag (boulderville) then summit Sgurr Choinnich Mor – the Grey Corries had begun. Skirted Easain (Boulderville II) then summit Stob Coire an Laoigh. The wind was strong now, cold and we were running straight at it. Jackets on and I realised I had been a tad optimistic verging on neglectful by not packing my waterproof trousers because God I needed them! As we reached the cairn I looked at the time. Yes – complex GPS watch that does everything except burn toast and I had it set to just tell me the time – because that was all that mattered. It was all that mattered – The watch said 05.15 and I remembered from writing the schedule that we should be here at 04.30. We were 45 mins down already.
We approaching Stob Coire Cath na Sine my cold legs were now starting to twinge and I knew that cramp was now not far away. We had been going for over 5 hours and I knew I should be eating and drinking more but it meant stopping to get it out and that would mean maybe getting even colder. All the thoughts in my head were now negative. We were behind. The weather was dreadful and looked to be getting worse. I hadn’t packed enough gear....
Grey Corries
Grey Corries
The food I was carrying I didn’t want to eat. I was about to start cramping. Everyone else was moving well. Dan was pleased we were at the top – this isn’t the top. The top is another km from here. We veered sharp left and picked up the track again that would take us to Stob Choire Claurigh. It was almost 5.30am and I tried to phone my wife Andrea. She would be up and getting ready to head to Fersit for Leg 2 but I could not get the phone to work. Smaller iPhones (pre 6) are difficult to see clearly and use when they and your hands are so wet. Eventually I got through. It was my daughter Kathryn – but she could not hear me: The phone was on mute and I could not get it off!! Try again, and again, and again. Eventually it connected and I spoke to Andrea. She could only just hear me because of the wind but she heard enough to understand I needed more clothes. It was a short call. I was glad it was. Because any longer and I would have lost it. Hearing your family, their voices when you are so low just added to the emotional black hole I was in. We were all running together but for me I was inside the walls of my own head. I wasn’t going to finish this. I knew that. Who was I kidding to think a 55 year old could do something like this, especially in these conditions? I was visualising my wife and kids waiting at Fersit. I could see their faces so clearly. I resolved to get to Leg 2 handover. Keep going Jim. Keep moving.
At Stob Choire Claurigh Dan was going to take the direct bearing route but I had suggested heading a bit East to try to pick up the path and easier terrain. It took a bit but we found it and headed to Stob Ban.
Heading to Stob Ban
The scree slope up Stob Ban is not good even on a fine day but by keeping to the right we eventually topped. This was a better ascent but it was now 06:42. We should have reached here by 05:38. Dear God we were still dropping time. The wind was full in our face and we were leaning into it as we descended the good path down before leaving the trod and going over the heather no man’s land that would lead down to the Lairig Leacach and up to Stob Coire Easain. We did our best to push the pace, running when we could but jings it was hard going and was sapping our legs – but we knew we had to dig in.
Coming of Stob Ban to start the Easain's
Meanwhile back at Fersit....
Family support
Leg 2 support
The Pyramid stage gets assembled
100% focus and commitment....
Water bottles filled we picked our line up through the dense unremitting heather and tussocks up the steep slope to Stob Coire Easain. It was slow, hard going and on the last boulder field I realised Jacob had fallen back. His face was drawn and he looked tired. Dan offered to take his rucksack but Jacob insisted he was good. We continued. Jacob fell back again. Dan had no choice but to tell Matt and I to go on without them. He would stay with Jacob. Tough call – but correct. It was only when we reached the summit of Easain I realised Jacob had my food and full water bottle – oh dear! It was now 08:00 – we were now 1 hour and 10 minutes down. Despite our best efforts and digging in we were still dropping time. I had done and was doing all that I could to keep to this schedule and we were failing. It wasn’t about doing the round – it was about the schedule. Maybe this challenge was beyond our abilities. We pressed on, but my head was not in a good place.
I’ve only been on this summit in snow – a lot of snow and today it lay naked as a baby and I never recognised it. SO much so I had to check the GPS that it was actually the top! It was but as we descended – I still had my doubts. Amazing the difference between the mountains in winter and summer – two completely different beasts.
The rise up Mheadhoin was longer than I remembered but the anticipation of that very long run off from here was not filling my heart with joy – knowing we had the bog fest to endure before we reached leg 2 was not lifting my spirits.
As we ran on I reflected on my mood, how I had found it so hard and that I thought it was just me. I shared my thoughts with Matt who confessed he too had had those thoughts on the Grey Corries. It wasn’t just me and when Jacob fell back I realised we had all found this hard. We had kept it inside us – we each had our own personal struggles: mentally and physically. Stay focussed – keep moving. Almost 2 Km on we were reaching Meall Cian Dearg, the nobly last lump before Fersit. Suddenly a yellow jacket with a person in it whizzed past – it was Jacob soon followed by Dan. He had bonked but some food and some water had brought him back to life – and what life he had – he was off! Jacob and Matt sped down to the Pillar then down to the road. One last steep descent and we were on the track back to Leg 2. Matt must have smelt food – he was off and I took up the rear with Jacob and Dan as we reached the end of Leg 1. We were 1 hour down on schedule (a 24 hour schedule).
Image[
Matt striding out in front
Rear guard
I reached my family out of breath and had not had time to gather my thoughts about what to do when I got there. It took me a few of the precious 10 minutes to focus and do what I needed to do: strip, change into dry clothes, eat, change socks, shoes, make sure the gear was transferred…. I saw faces in slow motion. Faces that did not smile but were looking concerned and anxious. I tried to eat, but it was so hard to do when my mouth was so dry and I was still getting my breath back. As I stood up my daughter hugged me and I felt emotion again flood over me. I whispered in her ear – ‘it’s so hard Kathryn’.’ So hard’. My voice was close to breaking. I said the words but they were painted by emotion. I was so close to losing it. If I was to continue I needed to focus. Andrea shouted- your shorts – change your shorts, they are soaking. Damn, forgot about that. I opted for ¾ length so my knees would be warmed. Good move as it turned out – because they did.
Penny for your thoughts Jim
Right - these are all Jim's soft toys....
Leg 2 hard-over
Keir called time – the 10 minutes was up and we had to move on. We left Dan, Jacob and my family and headed across the Dam to the rail track. Leg 1 was behind us Leg 2 lay ahead, covered in mist.
Cairn marks the spot
Leg 1 superstars - Jacob and Dan
Pause for personal reflection. People see you during races. Andrea has seen me at checkpoints in my BG and my Joss, but this was different: My kids had never seen me like this. Their Dad who they clearly felt would do this like a walk in the park was clearly in trouble. They had never seen me in this position before and I later found out from Andrea that they returned to Glen Nevis very emotional. Dad’s not invincible. Thing is Dad was only too aware of that.
Leg 2: I had recce’s this some weeks earlier and made a small cairn to mark the spot that would take us off the rails, over the fence to an old track. From this track we would get through the forest and onto the open hillside. It worked well. It took as to a grand line over good grass round and then up the hill side – great line: Luck rather than design. For now my focus was in not throwing up, keeping what I had eaten down and just keep moving up this beast that spread up high above us….. In mist! I just focussed on getting higher, finding the line, keep going, don’t chuck up! Michelle was outstanding at talking to me, motivating me, keeping me going, checking if I was OK: ‘You’re doing great kid’. Even in my fatigue I thought – never been a baby goat before! There was still life in my head – maybe not my legs….
Stob Coire Sgriodain (979m)
It seemed we were moving slowly, but as we got to the top, David informed us we made 6 mins up. Such a boost. Mark was on nav and was absolutely spot on as we made our way to Chno Dearg: again we made up some time. From here Matt and I had made a nav error on the recce coming off the ridge too early and ending up having a very dodgy traverse round to correct it. This time Mark was bang on. I applauded his accuracy but voiced my frustration that, like Leg 1 life would be made so much easier if it wasn’t for this dense bl@@dy clag!!
Descending Chno Dearg
Almost as I said it, the clouds above lightened, they parted and went and suddenly we were looking at Beinn na Lap and actually everything else!
Ladies and gents – the game has just changed! We were at this point one hour down on schedule – a 25 hour completion time…..
We stopped at the bottom of the ridge. Got water, ate, took a layer off and generally got sorted ready for the climb up Beinn na Lap. Matt could at last take his waterproof trousers off! We ascended and chatted away. We hit the ridge, and chatted away. We knew there were false summits and when we saw the actual top some distance away we actually thought - hey ho and continued to discuss the merits of Trainspotting 2 and how, despite being the sequel to one of the best films EVER it managed to hit the spot.
Some people hate the English. I don’t.
They are wankers
We on the other hand are colonised by wankers!
Brilliant – and we all had a go at recalling our favourite lines.
Choose Life. Choose a Job. Choose a career…..etc.
Beinn na Lap (935m)
Mark then shared 3 of his favourite Fell running jokes – 2 of which I ruined. (Sorry Mark). As we reached the track/road beside the railway- we all realised that our fortunes had changed. We had now a chance.
Loch Treig
Meanwhile.... At Loch Eilde More
Leg 3 making their way in from Kinlochleven
Phil and Eddie
The game was now on and with this track and the path after this being as dry as its ever likely to be we were making up time. As we joined the Loch Eilde Mor track we were all moving well. Mark suggested that with about 400m to go we ease up, take it easy, get our breathing down and think about the changeover: what you need to do etc. Great advice – that was what we did wrong at Leg 2 changeover – we raced into it and knocked it over! Great advice Mark. Sound advice.
Eddie was on point. He was spotted on his bike in the distance and we did our best to catch him up. We were supposed to reach Loch Eilde Mor at 14:05, we reached it at 14:05!!!☺
Arrive at Loch Elide Mor
Leg 2 was now behind us. Leg 3 awaited.
I was so much in a better place now. I ate, I drank, even managed a cup of coffee! It was now sunny – I mean sunny- the one that’s warm with the clear blue sky with big yellow circle sunny! Knowing this I felt ¾’s were not appropriate and David White agreed to lend me his shorts – we swapped gear.
Then from out of the blue my son Keir appeared as if from no-where!!!
My God son! How did you get here?
I ran Dad.
No tears this time – I was absolutely buzzing with joy and happiness. So good to see him. So, so good to see him. He had even brought suntan cream for me and the team – good man. Any painkiller son…?
Then Kathryn appeared!! Hugs and smiles – fantastic. Amazing even - so chuffed. They had been so upset at seeing me in Fersit that they got back to Glen Nevis then packed to come round and come into see me on Leg 3. How great is that? Any pain killers Katie?
All set – ready to go: My 15 mins was just about up….. then….. I turned to my left …… Andrea had arrived. My day was made. They had all come to see me – Andrea was last because she was carrying everything!! A big hug and I whispered in her ear quietly……..
Any co-codamol in that rucksack?……
Such a romantic really: a practical romantic…
Jim meets Andrea
Leg 3 : With a wave, a cheer and a smile we headed up over the tussocks and grass to leave Loch Eilde Mor for the tops of the Mamores. Leg 2 team had been wary of giving me ibuprofen as they were concerned I hadn’t drunk enough. Leg 3 were now on the case: Aye Jim. Ibuprofen – How many do you want. That’s ma boys! (I might add – I’m a pharmacist- I had drunk enough).
.....and they are off. Again!
It was now warm and so glad we had changed our kit.
Loch Eilde Mor
We reached Sgurr Eilde Mor – 6 mins up and I remembered that the last leg had more realistic times: It was going well.
Binnein Beag from Sgurr Eilde Mor
Scree slope off Sgurr Eilde then down to meet the traverse path up to Binnein Beag. Matt and I would go up with Chris and Andy whilst Daz and Richard would get water for our return. It was now hot but it was also so amazingly clear. The mountains were pin sharp – 3D. All around us.
From Binnein Beag the view of the Mamores was so incredibly clear. So clear in fact we could see all the way through to Mullachnan Coirean! We still had a long way to go.
Descending Binnein Beag
Back down we picked up the gear, guzzled the water and headed up to Binnein Mor via the ridge on its SE flank. This is not only easier, there is a burn for water and it’s quicker. Good line up and we were on the top.
Binnein Mor ascent
Fairly decent path to Na Gruagaichean most of which we could either run or move quickly. By the top we were up on schedule: such a relief.
We were now heading for The Ring of Steall. We were getting there. We left Daz at the Bealach whilst Matt and myself + Coxy, Chris and Richard headed up to do An Gearanach.
Tough one this as its steep, then a bit technical, then you realise the actual summit is about a km away. What is amazing is how time is relative: In the mist and rain of Leg 1 time just seemed to drag and everything was hard, now, with the weather the way it was, with the chat, the jokes, the stories everything just seemed to go much quicker. No sooner had we hit the summit than we were over the ridge, down the descent and back to smiling Mr Moore – for some water, a lovely wee ALDI caramel shortcake and a selfie with the legend: Mr Daz Moore.
Image[/url]
Cheeeese
This was Richards first time doing support and I never for one minute doubted that he would take on and rise to the challenge. Well, in reality, he far excelled my expectations. It can’t be easy being thrown in the deep end with experienced people who have all been there before for each other in good and hard times on the fell- especially us – but he did just grand and it was a pleasure to see the next generation taking it on.
An Gearanach from Stob Coire a'Chairn
An Gearanach from Stob Coire a'Chairn - same but wider
The Ben and CMD looking a tad clearer than 12 hours earlier!
Am Bodach
Mood in camp - good
Stob Coire a’ Chairn soon became Am Bodach: we were now an 50 minutes up on schedule. The key thing now was to consolidate and not blow it – we still had a good way to go. At Sgurr an lubhair we looked back all the way to Binnein Beag where we gulped earlier in the day at the task still in hand – we were getting there.
Team pic on lubhair
Down to start Devil’s Ridge. Richard and Daz left us, taking Coxy and Chris’s sack to go to Lochan nam Mach to get water.
Bealach between Ring of Steall and Stob Ban
This was the third and LAST time we would do an out and back – there are three in this Leg and I found this physiologically difficult as you end up after about an hour (ish) back to where you started! Devil’s Ridge is great in dry weather – apart for the ups and downs. We didn’t just jump over the Bad Step – just in case tired legs let us down – we opted for dropping left then back up to join the ridge path. Eventually we were atop Sgurr a Mhaim – two to go.
Back over Devil’s Ridge, descend just before the zig zags to stay on the grass and help the knees which by now were …… throbbing!
Devils Ridge and Sgurr a' Mhaim
Richard and Daz had been looking at Stob Ban and thought – how in the name of the wee man do you get up that. Actually, they never said that – they are English. They wouldn’t have said that – I just made that up because I can’t actually remember what they said – but it was along those lines and may have included a word starting with F. Main thing was – I said – you won’t believe the path we will take, its never technical or exposed and suddenly we pop out on the top. Sure enough – 20 mins later – they realised I was lying.
No – I wasn’t actually. It is amazing, the path is so straightforward and again, because of the chat and discussion we stood on top of Stob Ban with the most amazing view of the mountains of Lochaber. I might add at this point – Mullachnan Coirean looked as if it was in France it was so far away…… It’s actually 3Km – but it looks 30km!
Last ascent - Mullach nan Coirean
As we made our way across the boulders and ridges to our last top we had to keep stopping to take in the views around us. The evening light was just sublime and I would not be lying when I say – it was the perfect end to a challenging but amazing day. As we approached the cairn summit of Mullachnan Coirean the sunset was nothing short of jaw dropping! I told everyone to stand on the skyline so I could take a picture of it. A Kodak moment I will never forget.
Loch Linnie
The Ben,CMD and Aonach's
Mullach nan Coirean (939m)
Leg 3 Team and Matt
Matt and I on last top
Matt on last descent
By now the Tracker- which I had actually forgotten about was allowing people to see we were nearly there. I have a Suunto watch which displays my texts and e-mails. It just kept pinging with message after message from people wishing us well and willing us on. Happy days.
I’m not going to be brave here – my knees were bl@@dy killing me and I had the same injury I got when I did my BG – an inflamed hamstring tendon which made bending my knee a painful challenge. But I gritted my teeth and tried to be a brave wee trouper. I forgot how long this descent is – that said – it is like running off Scafell to Wast Water on Leg 3 BG.
Over the Stile, down the path to the forest road – then turn right – completely in the wrong direction!!! Just seems so wrong that! We ran for a bit till I had had enough of running away from the finish. Head torches on and through the forest to the road below us that would take us back to Glen Nevis YH- the End.
The support are ready and waiting

Once on the track I realised how tired my legs were when every little rise my legs made me aware of. We were tired but covering the ground. Not long till we would see ‘Andrea’s Cairn’ which had been strategically placed during our Easter weekend here to mark the point we leave the forest track for the road. Found it – easy through the trees then onto the road – it was now 23.00pm. We would do it. What a feeling.
We ran over the cattle grid. Cars were treating us wearily as our head torches actually had more beam that theirs! Matt and I were now running in front with Richard, Chris, Daz and Coxy behind. We could hear the noise at the YH – and they could see us. No mistaking runners head torches.
We arrived: 23 hours and 10 mins after leaving and if I could have a moment frozen forever – this would have to be one. Hugs all round. Oh the joy. Actually – Matt was very disciplined and touched the white post right away, I had to be reminded!
The finish - Ticketmaster - £80 each!
Arriving
Big hugs: Kathryn &; Keir
Cheers: 23 hrs and 10 mins
The greatest pleasures in life: Mountains, family, friends and achieving our dreams- all my ducks were aligned. So, so pleased that my kids were there to see me at the finish especially after seeing me in such a place after Leg 1.
Dan and Michelle had bought a bottle of fizz and as Matt and I sat on the YH wall talking to Phil & Sue Clark I just could not believe it. The perfect end to an amazing day.
In conclusion I might add that we may have our dreams and we may even have the ability but to achieve for mortals like myself success is only possible through the selfless sacrifice of others. Family and friends who give up their time and commit their energy to facilitate your success. For Andrea for allowing me to spend all that time training when there were so many other calls on our time and pressures on our lives. For Dan’s navigation on Leg 1. Jacob being a pack horse carrying enough kit to supply and feed a small army! Marks navigation on Leg 2 and again for Michelle being so supportive when I was really low on Leg 2 and to David and Jim – again so encouraging. Then finally the guys on Leg 3: The sit-com duo, Chris Brasher – sorry Lumb and of course Richard who smiled through the whole day: They made it all seem like we were on our holidays. Was Leg 3 really done on the same day as Leg 1????
Last Point: Yes it was tough and there were points I will be honest and say I did not think we would do < 24 hours – but we did. We clawed that time back and we finished on the best evening I have ever experience on the Scottish hills with family and the best of friends. The question is: Why are we 102 and 103? Can I just say, if you want a challenge – this is it…. And then some!
Thanks Charlie – Nice one.
Last edited by jimandandrea on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ramsay's Round

Postby Coop » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Whoa there steady on......

I could go on and and, but I won't.

Just 3 words though.

Fantastic achievement - Respect!
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby alyg95 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 pm

And I thought the 10 Mamores in a day were hard enough, huge respect to you
alyg95
Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:24
Fionas:20   Donalds:4+3
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:11

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Phew....jings, crivens, help ma boab - got exhausted just reading that ! Epic stuff and a heck of an achievement.
Congratulations :clap: .....what's next ? :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby montie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Incredible achievement for you auld guys hahaha. Joking apart that was a great read and a great time. Superb
montie
Munro compleatist

Postby Sick Kid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm

O........M........G!!!!!!! I actually had palpitations reading that!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: and a tear in my eye at the end :lol:

Truly amazing achievement there, you should be well chuffed with yourselves!
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Fantastic achievement! it would be hard enough getting round in a oner in any time, never mind in 24 hours! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've had my eye on this one for a few years, but I didn't think I'd manage it. Now I'm sure I wouldn't!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Eddie Dealtry » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Well done Jim and Matt. Exciting day for those supporting after the heroic first leg. Respect to Andrea, Kathryn and Keir for supporting the Old Man,
Eddie Dealtry
Mountain Walker

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 am

Many thanks to all for your kind and supportive comments: greatly appreciated.
Rockhopper - Cheers. No - that is it methinks. Will just be on the help/support role now.
Slainte. Jim
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

In Wales on a bagging trip met some guys on Sunday helping a colleague round the Paddy Buckley round. At first we wondered why they hadn't cancelled but then realised that the whole club was involved and he couldn't just get them all out again next weekend. Sadly for him he missed his 24hr goal. Reading the above, I realise why he had: constant down pours then horrendous wind. What a fantastic run you had, and what guts to claw back a whole hour. What an exciting write up. Trip report of the month even though we are not half way through. Despite your comments to RH, are you sure you don't want to add a Paddy Buckley.... you can start where you want.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jimandandrea » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks Eddie.
Sgurr: Thanks for your comments but alas no Paddy for me. This one was personal. Having done my BG I looked to this as my personal Everest. As a teenager going to this area and walking the hills and marvelling at their scale then coming back.... many years later and doing them all was a dream realised. To complete things like this there has to be an overwhelming desire and your motivation must have a reason. I'm overjoyed to have done it but the next step would be to support others achieve their Everest. I know I'll be back in a support role on these mountains and that wealth beyond riches.
See you on the hills. Jim
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Sgurr on JUne 13th wrote:. What an exciting write up. Trip report of the month even though we are not half way through.

See! I was right! Congratulations Hope it gets a massive readership now and not just the 600+ that were enticed in by the title.....and at least 5 of those was me coming back for another read. Maybe not many people know what Ramsay's Round is????
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Words fail me - what an amazing achievement, congratulations to everyone involved and especially Jim and Matt, wonderful teamwork and personal determination :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: The report itself is a terrific piece of writing, fascinating to read about the planning and training, the horrors of stage 1 and the elation of stage 3. My jaw has dropped so far I may have lost it forever :lol: :lol: Those you will support in the future will have a great companion :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby jimandandrea » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Wow Sgurr - you were right!!! :shock: I think many people haven't heard of it but what a challenge and such an amazing route.
Huff_n_Puff, glad you enjoyed it - that was great feedback and much appreciated.
Just so pleased that people read it (it's long) and enjoyed it. Can't believe it! :shock:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Postby Daveski99 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi guys. Congratulations on your round. The report is brilliant. Hoping to do this in august next year. By any chance would you have a schedule for your round that you could pass on?

Regards

Dave evans
Daveski99
Mountain Walker

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland