walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birthday bashing Bod

Birthday bashing Bod

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 08/05/2017

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 6.8 km

Ascent: 758m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after a week of walking every day I was ready for a rest, but I couldn't - it was Bod's birthday and we were going to celebrate!
Arrived on th Friday evening and was force fed cider straight away by Valerie, but I was concerned about Dougie. He ha gone up to Stob Coire nam Beith today to do a route by himself and had told me he would be finished by 4PM. He did turn up about 6.30 though so happiness followed, as more familiar faces appeared :D
The Saturday plan was to go up the big Buachaille - good idea. Dougie and I htched a plan to try and get some folk up the front, but in the end we only convinced a couple of folk so a four person team. Me, Dougie Spider and Matthew.

Bods 50th 6 5 17.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As with all large groups it took a while to assemble and get going, but the weather was roasting, so no chore to be out. We parted company at the fork, the way ahead looking super :)

We knew the other party would nt be quick, so took plenty of stops.

Taps aff

We had wasted a lot of time on the ascent, but not enough - another wee while before the last of the others arrived. Had to be the most jovial summit party that I have ever been to 8)

Notice the heels :shock:

There then followed the very long ascent. We waited for Scoob & Fi at the head of the corrie for a bit but didn't see them so we all headed down en masse, although we did string out a lot on the way down.

Once down, I felt awful - too much sun for the highland girl! So spent about 5 hours drinking 5 litres of fluids before I felt better - just my luck :roll: Anyway, was good to see everyone, especially those that hadn't been to a meet for a while 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland