walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windy Arran Corbett collecting.

Windy Arran Corbett collecting.

Postby martin.h » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Route description: Caisteal Abhail, via North Glen Sannox

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Caisteal Abhail, Cir Mhor

Date walked: 07/06/2017

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1580m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our stay on Arran up to midweek had been a bit mixed, weather wise, with Monday and Tuesday turning out rainy and overcast we spent our time looking at castles, stone circles, gardens, museums and caves, it gave us the chance explore a bit of Arrans history and way of life.

Keeping an eye on the weather showed that Wednesday was going to be a good day to have a go at a route I'd cobbled together so, taking advantage of Louise's offer to be taxi driver we decided to give it a go, it gave us free range with no restrictions on where we left our car and how to get back to it, or worrying about the bus service. Our intention was to start at the North Glen Sannox car park, walk over three corbetts and finish around Brodick.

Wednesday dawned overcast (not predicted) and windy (predicted) we decided to set off and see what happens.
Travelling through Brodick the mountains were wearing cloudy hats and the trees were thrashing about but it was dry and fairly bright. By the time we arrived at the car park at Glen Sannox the cloud was a bit higher a bit less grey and seemed to be breaking up, there were patches of blue albeit away from the hills.
Louise left us to it and we were on our way at just leaving 9am.

The start of the walk is alongside the burn, it was a bit breezy, not too bad though, we could cope with that, just what it would be like higher up we could only guess, we cracked on.

Back towards the car park, brightening up.

Once through the trees we crossed the burn and found the path leading up to the shoulder on Sail an Im, this is a bit damp in parts, as the shoulder is reached it becomes drier, the higher we got the better it became, it starts to weave its way round the rocky tors and the views were getting better, Caisteal Abhail looks massive, the Witches Step looks almost impossible to negotiate, all the tops we could see were now clear of cloud.

Towards the mainland,

Witches Step.

Getting higher.

Looking back.

The walk to the summit is on a lovely curving ridge, the summit tor visible.

Heading over there later.

Near the top, looking at the rocky tor that's the summit appears to be a difficult scramble at first sight but there is a path that goes around the back for an easier scrabble to the top, we took that option, as do most I think, the wind erosion makes any hold rounded and not being competent scramblers and the wind being an issue we wanted to make sure we arrived in Brodick as planned.

At the top the views are stunning - Goatfell, North Goatfell, Mullach Buhdhe and The Saddle leading to Cir Mhor, - our route ahead, Cir Mhor, the bypass path under A'Chir and Beinn Tarsuinn, we could just see Beinn Nuis our last mountain, we stayed a while looking at these views, they're fantastic.

Denise on Caisteal Abhail.

View over to Goatfell and Cir Mhor.

Cir Mhor, A'Chir, Beinn a' Chliabhain and Beinn Tarsuinn.

View to Bute

Cir Mhor etc

View of The Saddle.

After a snack and extended photo stop we retraced our way off the Caisteal and worked our way across to Cir Mhor dropping down the ridge into the bealach between the two, all the way Cir Mhor looking quite a daunting prospect.

Cir Mhor from the bealach.

A'Chir and Beinn Tarsuinn.

The climb up Cir Mhor is steep and steady, about two thirds of the way up we met the stone pitched path coming up from the bealach below A' Chir making the remaining ascent easier, we were soon on the summit and what views! we stayed a while up here too, by now the cloud was well broken, the sun was out, it was very windy but with views to savour we had to take our time.

Goatfell from Cir Mhor.

Holy island.

Beinn Nuis, Beinn Tarsuinn with A'chir below them.

Caisteal Abhail.

Witches Step.

Next on the agenda was Beinn Tarsuinn, we set off from Cir Mhor down the made path and soon reached the bealach where we stopped to have lunch, we found a sheltered spot in the sun and stayed there not quite believing how lucky we were with the weather, yes, the wind was a bit of a nuisance but it hadn't hampered us in any way just slowing us down a bit.

Goatfell from lunch spot.

After a good half hour we set off for Beinn Tarsuinn, ascended from the bealach a short distance and found the by pass path. This path does lose a bit of height but this isn't too much of a problem, at the other end the ascent up Beinn Tarsuinn is no way as bad as it looks from the other end.

Strange rock formation, Beaner001 called it Dolphin rock, I agree!

and we were soon on the top looking at the absolutley mind blowing views, nowhere in these mountains are the views mundane, they're spectacular from every summit,

Goatfell from Beinn Tarsuinn.

Zoomed.

We could now see Beinn Nuis our last summit, we set off keeping our eye out for the old man, ten minutes or so later we found him, took his photo then continued.

Beinn Nuis.

Looking Back on the way to Beinn Nuis

Looking west over to the Beinn Bharrain group, Friday's target.

T'old man of Tarsuinn.

On Beinn Nius we looked around, we could work out the route we'd taken, just, there's quite a jumble of mountain tops to look at from this summit and they all look pretty spectacular.

Looking back from Nuis.

Zoomed.

Goatfell from Nuis.

Looking back again, we'd travelled over most of those mountains today.

From the summit we headed down to Glen Rosa, this path is easy to follow, a bit loose and tricky in parts but all the way we could see how far we had left to go, always a bit of a bind after a busy day.

Looking back from Glen Rosa.

At the bottom of this section there's a footbridge and on the other side of the Glenrosa Water there's a very welcome bench to sit on looking up Glen Rosa, we sat on this for a while in the sunshine to help ease the legs ready for the trudge back to Brodick.

Cir Mhor and the witches Step from the bench.

The walk back is on a good easy track, this in turn turns into a metalled single track road near the campsite which leads down to the string road, this section seemed to go on for ever, we decided to stop at the heritage museum and phoned Louise to collect us.

We had a fish & chip supper to round off a glorious day (and to save prepping something back at the cottage), I'm doing this report Thursday, sat in the cottage, it's chucking it down, cloud is covering Holy Isle, I'm glad we hadn't planned much today.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:16
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:145
Wainwrights:212   

Re: Windy Arran Corbett collecting.

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:19 am

I'm lost for words... I think those are some of the best photos of the Arran mountains i've seen! I still stand by my firm belief that Caisteal Abhail is the best viewpoint on the island.

Hard to pick a favourite but this one in particular:

You certainly got an eye for a cracking composition, cheers, from an Arranite! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chris Mac
Scrambler

Munros:32   Corbetts:16
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:43   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Windy Arran Corbett collecting.

Postby martin.h » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:31 am

Thank you Chris, it was difficult at times to take photo's with the wind battering us about I must admit :lol: I managed about 80 altogether though, it's stunning scenery.
We've been coming up to Scotland for over 40 years and never tried Arran until now, I think we've become practicing "Arranites" ourselves, we're definitely coming back :D,

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:202   Corbetts:16
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:145
Wainwrights:212   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland