walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mor Dearg

Carn Mor Dearg

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Carn Mor Dearg Arete

Munros included on this walk: Carn Mor Dearg

Date walked: 11/06/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Now this is one to go definitely back for on a dry clear (ish) day.

Once over the stile it's there and It stays on your right, imposing and looking splendid and grand all the way up - fantastic and hat off to those who climb the various gulleys, towers etc

Really Wet and Really windy. Told myself when I started up the rather boggy path;  " slow down - different spproach today; slower and shorter steps and you'll get up no probs."
Had to stop a fair few times and turn away from the wind and rain. Let it hit me for a minute or 2 then start going upwards again.
Looked at the altitude at one point and it was just over 700. Jings I thought.

Loch Meall an t-Suidhe comes into view and it looks as though it's just waiting to pour over the side of the slopes,; it seems that close to the edge

Onwards up the red path and the arete could be viewed. I honestly thought it'd be longer. By this point I'd told myself I wasnt going over it in these conditions and also taking into account what the conditions were like on The Ben.

On up to the summit of Carn Dearg Meadhonach and finally a half decent view of CMD. The wind had blown all of the mist just to the left of the ridge which is always an impressive sight.

And then it closed in again.

On up to the cairn and stayed for a few minutes hoping it would clear for a good view of the Arete, but alas, it never.

Time to head down passing 3 pairs on the way up. One group of 2 lads both wearing shorts :shock:
The path further down was just a swamp so a line was taken off it and carefully down through the Heather watching out for holes and wee streams- back to the good path beside the Allt a'Mhuillin. Felt as though I was back at the car park in no time - I wasn't really hanging about!

Now on the " I'm definitely going back " list

Cap doffed to Carn Mor Dearg

Cheers
Coop
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:114
Grahams:48   Donalds:72
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland