walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buchaille Etive Beag

Buchaille Etive Beag

Postby colm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 29/05/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plan was to spend 2 days In Glencoe and meet up with Sean who was there with friends. Left H'burgh at 6.30 and raced up Loch Lomondside in dreich. Stared at 8.30 from A82 car park in low cloud, dry but forecast was for rain later. Ground very dry as it had been really sunny previous week. Sean was doing Bidean Nam Bian with his friends, but i decided to meet him later as the forecast wasn't looking too good for a long day and i've climbed Bidean.
When i set off down the Lairg Eilde the path was excellent and dry and although there were a few spots of rain requiring the waterproofs of and on, it was warm and good easy going. I turned round several times to look at Beinn Fhada and imagined Sean somewhere in the lost valley the other side.
When the path turns east and heads up the hillside to the Bealach it's steep but beautifully engineered rock staircase and it quickly gains height, cloud remained high all way up so views North along Glencoe and the Aoneach Aegach in mist all the way up to put you on the wide Bealach with a very easy to spot red granite slab at 748 metres.
Then North up a stony winding path in cloud all the way to Stob Coire Raineach, the newer Munro (promoted in 90's). Path splits into many routes up steep boulders and scree, but quickly puts you at the rocky summit. No views as thick clag from about 800 metres so descended straight away.
Summit Stob Choire Rayneach looking South to Stob Dhubh in Clag.jpg
Summit of Stob Coire Raineach looking South to Stob Dubh in Clag

Path is harder to follow on descent as it splits and deviates and soon lost and wandered Southwest onto steep scree slopes. After a tricky traverse and the odd slip, regained main path further down and then set of from bealach South up a better clearer path among slabs to Stob Dubh. Wind increased and still in thick cloud but remaining dry all the way to the top at 902 metres (cairned) and then a flat narrowing ridge provides a lovely sky high bimble to the summit of Stob Dubh: a pity there were no views.
Summit of Stob Dhubh.jpg
Summit of Stob Dubh

Returned by the same route in improving weather, even patches of occasional sun peeking through. Forecast was wrong and day was fine. Back at the hire van by 12.30. |even considered fopr a while on descent doing another one in the afternoon, or at least a wander up the lost valley to find Sean. However after a pint in the Clachaig i decided to find some accomodation as i didn't fancy kipping in the back of the van, and luckily there was a bed at the SYHA so i git my messages in Ballachulish and checked in at 3.00 for a leasurely doss until it was time to stroll down to The Clachaig to meet Sean and his friends for dinner, (they got off Bidean about 5.30)listening to Ulysses en route. Good few beers and malts with Sean and back up at the hostel by 11.30 ish to try and get some descent sleep before tommorrow's scrambling on Creise.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

colm
Munro compleatist

Munros:120   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland