walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Walk Report - Boggy munro and mysterious shoes

First Walk Report - Boggy munro and mysterious shoes

Postby samanthaanne89 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 10/06/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been a creeper on here for a while now...so thought I'd best start writing reports, since I use them so often to influence my mountain choices!

Unfortunately, it's not for an exciting munro, or on a nice day, so pictures are few and far between.

This weekend had been booked in the calendar for months. This was THE weekend. THE weekend that we would take on THE Fisherfields. Alas, with the forecast looking ever doubtful, we realised this was not a sensible plan given conditions. We were so prepared however, so set off to find a nice camp spot on Friday early evening with the Dundonnell Hotel in our sights for tasty dinner. We actually ended up camping right in front of the Dundonnell MRT building. The beautiful evening weather was agitating us as we had called off our epic plans, but we knew it wouldn't stay nice for long.

Camp spot:

ImageIMG_6191 by Sam McDougall, on Flickr

A nice sunset after a couple of bottles of wine...

ImageIMG_6219 by Sam McDougall, on Flickr

We set our sights on Am Faochagach the next day. We set off about 8:20am.

When we came to the river crossing, we were quite excited about the prospect of using our newly acquired Crocs/similar to get across! It was surprisingly much more difficult than we thought and we spent a while faffing.

ImageIMG_6212 by Sam McDougall, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6210 by Sam McDougall, on Flickr

Safely on the other side, we left our shoes as markers as to where to cross back.

It was raining, it was a bit windy, but nowhere near as bad as forecasted so we felt lucky for a while. We decided to climb to 700m and take a rain shelter break there and get some food.

The final push didn't feel too long, and by about 11am we made it to the top. It was very windy, but nothing too scary.

We had a bit of a lost moment on the way back down but found our ~700mish cairn and had another break. Luckily the rain had stopped so we had some time to dry off before getting back to the car. Strangely on the way back to our river crossing, we saw this pair of shoes at the side of the river - can anyone own up?! Very weird type of shoe to be left there?

ImageIMG_6261 by Sam McDougall, on Flickr

After a quicker river crossing we were back to the car by about 13:45 and headed back for a freshen up and a jaunt into Ullapool for much needed coffee and cake. I bumped into a friend that I climbed Kilimanjaro, and a few of my earlier munros with. She had got winded off the Fannichs. I did remember looking at some of the routes there and thinking that they would get battered by the wind all day so ruled them out - phew!

We realised it was "World Gin Day" - and as the sun was shining and the Dundonnell hotel was serving, it would be rude not to!

ImageIMG_6231 by Sam McDougall, on Flickr

The next day we packed up and got Ben Wyvis on the way home. Nice to make light of a rubbish weather weekend! Need to get Fisherfield back in the diaries for another time....
samanthaanne89

Munros:170   
Islands:17

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland