walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Live Music at 1150 metres

Live Music at 1150 metres

Postby withypitts » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:41 am

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian

Date walked: 31/05/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last year I had a first taste of Glencoe with a fine walk on Buachaille Etive Mor. The views from there convinced me that Bidean nam Bian should be added to the top of my to do list.
So 12 months later, I was about to set off up Coire nan Lochan on a fine day. The way ahead was clear, but looked rather steep.
IMG_2882.JPG
View from parking area in Glencoe

The noisy A82 was soon left behind as the well-made path gained height quickly.
IMG_2888.JPG
Looking back to Glencoe

Impressive waterfalls accompany the path all the way up the valley with Stob Coire nan Lochan above.
IMG_2885.JPG

My intended approach was along the north ridge from Aonach Dubh, so I branched off of the main path on a small track to the right and headed for the upper coire near a last steep cascade.
The path seemed to vanish in the upper coire, but the direction was obvious and the terrain not difficult. The only other walkers around seemed to be using a drone for some aerial photos. On reaching the ridge, interesting vistas opened up.
IMG_2892.JPG
Aonach Eagach with Ben Nevis behind

Stob Coire nan Lochan appeared to be well guarded by impressive crags. I hoped there was a viable route behind them.
IMG_2894.JPG
Impressive pinnacles

Eventually, the summit of Bidean appeared for the first time - still an alarmingly long way off.
IMG_2895.JPG
Bidean summit and west ridge

The going was rather rough over rocky terrain, but more fine views opened up through the crags.
IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2899.JPG

The two lochans in the coire were briefly visible, with Buachaille Etive Mor in the background and Schiehallion on the horizon.
IMG_2897.JPG
Two lochans

From the summit of Stob Coire nan Lochan, Bidean reared up to the south.
IMG_2900.JPG
Bidean from Stob Coire nan Lochan

The route ahead obviously involved a steep descent and then an even steeper climb to the top. I took a few minutes to consider my options for returning after reaching Bidean. Retracing the outward route back over Stob Coire nan Lochan seemed unappealingly arduous; the top of the Lost Valley looked rather steep and eroded; maybe a western route over Stob Coire nam Beith would be best? While I was contemplating, the people with the drone arrived. I noticed that one of them was wearing a kilt.
The final approach to Bidean was indeed steep, but in superb surroundings.
IMG_2902.JPG
Loch Leven from the approach to Bidean.

As you would expect, the views from the top of Bidean were fantastic in all directions.
IMG_2903.JPG
Ben Nevis to the north

IMG_2904.JPG
Loch Etive and Ben Cruachan to the south

While I was wallowing in all this magnificence, the unmistakeable sound of the bagpipes erupted from a nearby high point. It was the guy in the kilt, with the performance and the superb views being recorded by the drone. Later research revealed that I had been sharing the top of the mountain with the Munro Bagpiper! He had certainly picked a fantastic day for it.
Eventually I decided to head back via the delightful west ridge. I appeared to have it all to myself in the afternoon sunshine, and new perspectives were revealed at every turn.

IMG_2908.JPG
View back to Bidean summit

IMG_2909.JPG
Stob Coire nan Lochan again

IMG_2910.JPG
Towards Loch Linnhe with Mull on the horizon

IMG_2911.JPG
Loch Leven

IMG_2912.JPG
View south with Ben Cruachan in the distance

Unsurpisingly, much of the descent from Stob Coire nam Beith was steep and rough, although there was a clear path most of the way. At the top of the Coire nam Beithach Glencoe and the A82 appeared a long way off.
IMG_2913.JPG

The crags of Stob Coire nan Beith were impressive from below.
IMG_2914.JPG

Water began to dominate the valley as it plunged steeply downward.
IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

At some point the path disintigrated into a rough track close to the flow of the stream and on a couple of occasions I had to cross the stream to find a way forward. However, as I emerged from the narrow part of the valley into the sunlight a well engineered path swung in from the left. Was this the path I had been on earlier, and had I wandered off it somewhere? Still, the walk along the stream was good fun.
At last Glencoe was within striking distance.
IMG_2920.JPG

The Coire nam Beithach looks superb from near the road in Glencoe. Did I just come down from there?
IMG_2922.jpg
Coire nam Beithach

At this stage I could have done without the long walk back along Glencoe to where my car was parked, but this was a small price to pay for a fantastic day in the hills. And the Clachaig Inn is just round the corner.
withypitts
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:145
Wainwrights:79   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland