walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 boring Beinns from Linn of Dee

3 boring Beinns from Linn of Dee

by J888ohn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 17/06/2017

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 37.2 km

Ascent: 1367m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 3 boring Beinns from Linn of Dee

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 pm

It's so nice to see an honest report. Just to add some support, I find walking through forests tedious and I find the Cairngorms dull beyond belief. I went up a part of this walk a couple of weeks ago and found it so uninspiring I chose to listen to cricket instead :D

Each to his own. West coast scrambles and grandeur for me every time. Slogging up piles of mud is for masochists.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Moriarty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 pm

BobMcBob wrote: I went up a part of this walk a couple of weeks ago and found it so uninspiring I chose to listen to cricket instead

Good for you. I'd rate cricket as being marginally above self-harm, but it's all about enjoying oneself. At least you were only listening, you could have been participating.. :wink:
Moriarty

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 pm

I think John's had a bit of unfair stick here :lol:

I certainly don't agree with the "there's no such thing as a boring hill" mantra. There are a few. Am Faochagach's only interesting feature was the coldest river crossing known to man, and Tom Buidhe (both times) was dull on a scale I can't even express in words.

A lot of it is of course down to your experience on the day. I harbour a seething hatred of Beinn Chabhair because it was a total bogtrot and because I finally trashed an already dodgy knee on it, and not because it is a particularly dreadful hill.

Beinn a'Chreachain and Achaladair are probably lovely, but because the weather was diabolical and I had an agonising 7 hours there due to a related knee injury, my only photo of the day was of me raising two fingers at their clag and rain shrouded summits after collapsing in an agonised heap on the floor of my mate's van.

Almost tempted to start a "Top 5 sh*t hills" thread in the GD sub forum :lol: :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am

I actually enjoyed your report, and whilst I tend towards the "no hill day is a boring day" attitude now, this has changed over the years. And, if I'm honest, I don't bother going out if the weather isn't brilliant as often now, I go and potter about lower down, as I don't get as inspired by trudging through the clouds unless the hill is particularly good. Can't say I've ever been bored, but I have on numerous occasions wanted a hill day to end way before it did...

Thanks for an honest report. The glens around there, with their scattered ancient woodlands, are truly magical as you rightly point out. I've always said there's always at least one thing that makes any day in the outdoors special, and it sounds as if that part of the walk/bike was your moment.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby J888ohn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Well I didn't expect the report to generate such a good discussion! Thanks for all the contributions, I've not logged on for a few days and just read through them all. :clap: :thumbup: I'm rubbish at the multiple quote tag thing for replying to posts so forgive me for using your name only.

Border Reiver - I'm not really sure what motivates me to keep going, but it helps when I have company. I guess it's the challenge of getting the route done as often Lee and I plan these longer walks to challenge ourselves. Often I've been set for a hill walk and just can't be bothered leaving the house if I'm on my own. Also I find it is a great stress relief being out in the wilds and can turn a crap week into a good one. In fact, the wife describes me as a human Border Collie as if I'm stuck in the house too long I apparently bounce off the walls just like my Mountain Mutt! :lol: I've turned back a few times, mostly due to truly rubbish weather, or when I've been a bit careless and had a moment that has convinced me to just go back to the car (trying to climb up the back of the Corrie at Ben Lui when I was younger with zero skills / gear and having to slide / fall back down was one of those days! :roll: )

Sunset Tripper - I didn't know I wasn't going to like the walk until I was into it. We'd decided it was the best place to go for a day trip to get some munros in decent weather. Whilst we are "baggers" and have a "tick list" (I'm not a fan of either of those terms as they tend to be used in a slightly derogatory fashion at times) having taken 10 years to get as far as we have we don't go out with the "it's just another tick" attitude. We have an aim and it will take as long as it takes to get there, with a good few adventures and laughs thrown in. Also I have zero winter skills and am only in the Cairngorms in the snow to snowboard, please don't hate me for that. :lol: :lol:

Cuilvista - How old are you implying I am? :lol: I suppose the report does read a bit like I was just after the hills but I do like the journey when there are things to take my interest. I like looking around and thinking how cool a rock formation looks or how the heck am I getting up to that. Unfortunately this area just had a lot of grass and moorland up high and that doesn't float my boat. The forest was absolutely stunning. We actually spoke about how we hadn't seen a single deer all day which we thought was strange.

LeithySuburbs - I thought I'd broken a rule I wasn't aware of by using the B word!!!! :lol: Thing is I write my reports from my point of view and from my feelings during the trip, and that's how I felt about that one. I don't believe for a second everyone enjoys every hill. For example, FIonn Beinn is meant to be stunning but I encountered it on a miserable April day and have cursed it's name ever since. Having seen the photos of the views I may be tempted to go up it again next time I'm up in that area.

Moriarty - I knew from the map I was missing the best side of Beinn a'Bhuird but that couldn't be helped. I'll hopefully be seeing it when I'm on the route in to Ben Avon. You're quite right it is down to the route you choose, but I don't consider this as a thrown away day. I don't regret being out at all.

BobMcBob - Cricket!!!!! Jeeeezzzz you must've been bored :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

jupe1407 - We'd get thrown off this forum and driven from the country for starting a top 5 s**t hills list :lol:

Mal Grey - I tend to avoid bad weather days too as I like to have the reward of a view after the toil and sweat of getting to the top. The biking was great and I would like to try and get as far along Glen Derry as I can one day. I've rediscovered my passion for mountain biking the last few years (early mid life crisis??) and being able to team it up with hill walking, my other outdoor passion, is a huge bonus.

RTC - It is a total head clearer for me being outdoors. I remember when I worked in the USA my flat was close by and my workmates just couldn't understand why I walked home instead of getting a lift, they thought I'd fallen out with them!
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 pm

I enjoyed your report - one of my first forays into the hills by myself took in some of this route, so good to jog the memory :D

My opinions of the cairngorms goes up and down - I'll have a dull day there one time, but the next time I'll have a brilliant time - Just back from a wee trip out there, and it was fabby, even though I got soaked to the skin :) I do believe that the beauty of the cairngorms is mostly in the glens, the hills are a little bit too rounded to get the breathtaking views, although there is subtle beauty in the plateau if you look for it, and the wildlife is second to none - adders, reindeer and capercaillie just arent as often spotted elsewhere.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby 2manyYorkies » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:58 pm

basscadet wrote: I do believe that the beauty of the cairngorms is mostly in the glens, the hills are a little bit too rounded to get the breathtaking views

I've always felt that about the Yorkshire Dales - yes, I know, hardly the Highlands, but near enough home for me - the dales themselves are much more interesting and uplifting than the rounded peaty lumps in between, maybe Pen y Ghent the exception.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby GillSte » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:54 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Almost tempted to start a "Top 5 sh*t hills" thread in the GD sub forum :lol: :lol:

Oooo, go on, do it! Did you see the top 10 Corbetts thread? There are a few candidates mentioned on there to start it all off.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 pm

John you have started a great debate and good to see so many different viewpoints and outlooks. I have genuinely enjoyed the report and replies. :D
Nothing wrong with snowboarding :D

LeithySuburbs wrote:I enjoyed your report John. I've been up the Derry 2 a couple of times and mostly share your feelings on them.

LeithySuburbs why did you go up a 2nd time? Was it just to make sure it was a boring day out or did you secretly think that you would find a life affirming, soul enriching experience? :D
Sunset tripper

Postby basscadet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:45 am

Sunset tripper wrote:LeithySuburbs why did you go up a 2nd time? Was it just to make sure it was a boring day out or did you secretly think that you would find a life affirming, soul enriching experience? :D

He went up because I dragged him - My dad hadn't done them and we were meeting him for a weekend in the gorms.. The intention was to do these two on the way up to Hutchy's then do Mheadhoin and derry on the way back (hills Leithy hadn't climbed yet) but it was a complete whiteout all day and I'm sure hutchy's would of been completely buried (yes it was that deep) so we bailed to Bob Scots :lol:
Fortunately with the whiteout it was impossible to tell if these two were good or bad - just a trudge through whiteness for several hours, although I'm sure Leithy would of enjoyed it better if he had remembered his gloves :wink: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

Sunset tripper wrote:LeithySuburbs why did you go up a 2nd time? Was it just to make sure it was a boring day out or did you secretly think that you would find a life affirming, soul enriching experience? :D

For the big sky, the sense of space, the ants in grass - you know, the usual stuff :wink: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 pm

My approach is to get a kind of perverse satisfaction out of bagging so-called "boring" hills. This helps lower one's expectations and enables one to appreciate the good points more. Good weather also helps.

I had a great day on the Monadhliath, enlivened by grouse chicks scuttling across my path when I stopped upon seeing the mother do her diversionary flap. I persuaded my usual walking companion (who had vowed never to do the Ring of Tarff) to go up An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fidhleir by persuading him it was a great walk up Glen Feshie (not mentioning the Tarff), which he enjoyed. We had a good short day on Beinn Bhreac by biking in as the OP did and taking triple shot gingerbread lattes in thermoses from the cafe in Braemar, which we enjoyed in the summer sleet at the summit cairn.

More fun may have been had on scrambly ridges in the West, but these were all good days on the hills.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:50 am

Well, you certainly started an interesting debate... :roll:

After years of more or less dismissing them as boring lumps, I was seriously "surprised by joy" on my 2 forays so far into the Cairngorms (September last year). I've tentatively concluded that, as has already been said, you have to approach them differently to the W Highlands. You need to focus your gaze downwards if you're up on the plateau. It's the big shock moving from flat and "boring" to dramatic cliffs that (at least for me) really gives the Cairngorms their appeal.

Corries like Beinn a'Bhuird are absolutely phenomenal: approaching it from the West, there's kilometres of featureless walk towards a featureless brown lump; but when you eventually get there, you find that on the other side is a - literally - quite breathtaking corrie - I only half saw it really (time pressure), but this was enough to make me vow I would be back, just to spend serious time exploring and enjoying it.

RTC wrote:
prog99 wrote:You have an unusual outlook on life if you think these hills are boring but then I see you went for the swift tick on Beinn a'Bhuird which misses out one of the grandest corries in scotland.

Is that the corrie [series of corries?] to the east of the north and south tops? I went up Beinn a'Bhuird for a "swift tick" many years ago starting from Linn of Quoich and wasn't even aware of the corrie[s]. I went back a couple of years ago and walked from the Sneck over the north and south tops taking in the rims of the corries and discovered what I had missed.

The other thing that struck me really forcibly was the large scale of everything. It's hard to explain what that means, but if you stand on Braeriach and look across towards Ben Macdui, I think that most folk will have a similar awed sensation. You don't get this in the clag; and if the clag hadn't cleared around midday on my first foray, I probably would never have returned.

Don't give up on the Cairngorms!!! (I'm sad to read that BobMcBob has :( - he indicated last year that I might have half-persuaded him otherwise....)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:21 am

Alteknacker wrote: (I'm sad to read that BobMcBob has :( - he indicated last year that I might have half-persuaded him otherwise....)

Don't be disappointed, you did at least persuade me to go back, which I did. I've never been into walking for the sake of walking and I think you need some of that in the Cairngorms.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:05 pm

basscadet wrote:

He went up because I dragged him - My dad hadn't done them and we were meeting him for a weekend in the gorms.. The intention was to do these two on the way up to Hutchy's then do Mheadhoin and derry on the way back (hills Leithy hadn't climbed yet) but it was a complete whiteout all day and I'm sure hutchy's would of been completely buried (yes it was that deep) so we bailed to Bob Scots :lol:
Fortunately with the whiteout it was impossible to tell if these two were good or bad - just a trudge through whiteness for several hours, although I'm sure Leithy would of enjoyed it better if he had remembered his gloves :wink: :lol:

Basscadet I believe your version and it does sound a bit grim. It didn't sound like a great day for the ants in grass and the big sky. :lol:
Sunset tripper

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland