walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 boring Beinns from Linn of Dee

3 boring Beinns from Linn of Dee

by J888ohn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 17/06/2017

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 37.2 km

Ascent: 1367m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 3 boring Beinns from Linn of Dee

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:05 am

So here we go... a debate about BHLs (boring heathery lumps)!!!

Yes, there are a few of them. I had my share of boring hills (Geldie Munros last year :? :? :? I almost lost my will for hillwalking!!!). I agree with the idea of leaving the less exciting, round lumps for winter - even the most boring hill can be enjoyable in five inches of fluffy snow!

Having completed the Cairgorm Munros last year, I feel something is missing from my schedule. Yes, they might be a bit boring, but I still miss them. Already hatching a plan to re-visit MacDhui... and Sgorr Gaoith in winter conditions. There is something about the Cairngorms, the vast open space and the solitude, it gets to my inner layers... Maybe these three are not the most interesting Munros, but I actually did enjoy them :D

Finally, I must admit, even after the most boring, uninspiring, foul weather outing, I always feel satisfaction of achieving something... A couple of weeks ago we set out for an obscure Graham, Carn Loch nan Amhaichean (just north of Wyvis). Weather was c***p, rain, low cloud, winds 30-40mph. We crawled onto the summit in pouring rain, after trudging up wet slopes, cloud was low so we saw zilch views, we were blown away, soaked and cold (what a summer this year so far!!!). Yet having returned to the car, we had the satisfaction of defeating the foul conditions and turning the uninspiring, round, lumpy hill into an adventure. So maybe we should do all the BHL's in bad weather - as character building exercise! :lol:
Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 pm

I sympathise John: Maybe you're too young for the Cairngorms, and the two " below the skyline Munros" are a bit boring. When I was at UNI, mountains were for adventure and we headed for the Cuillins on every occasion - both in the Summer and at Easter. We also cherry-picked the Torridon hills - Liathach, Ben Eighe, Slioch and An Teallach. There were no walking guides then, and Munro bashing was in its infancy. But as I got older I started to take on John Muir's view of the wild - somewhere to escape to - and the Cairngorms have a number of advantages: they're not as wet as the West Coast, you cover amazing amounts of ground in a day, and with the exception of northern Scandinavia, they're probably the wildest place in Western Europe. I suggest you go back and savour them when you've satsified your lust for adventure - Best of luck
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Butterscotch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 pm

Very helpful account - I’m hoping to take my bike and get these 3 ticked off in one day too 😊
Butterscotch

Munros:259   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

Postby Colin1951 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:55 am

Haven’t been on Bhreac or Chaoruinn yet but no way is Ben a’Bhuird boring, you’ve just approached it from the wrong side. And surely you enjoyed the navigational challenge anyway?
I suggest when you go in for Ben Avon, you take the detour back over Bhuird and down past Slugain Lodge. It takes forever but it’s a wonderful walk/cycle.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Ross Richardson » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:30 pm

I think the only boring thing is the person writing the report. If you researched the places you go with regards to history , geology and ecology youd find the Cairngorms anything but boring. I guess if your only interest is ticking off a list then thats up to you 😴😴😴
Ross Richardson
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:49
Donalds:2

Postby J888ohn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:15 pm

Ross Richardson wrote:I think the only boring thing is the person writing the report. If you researched the places you go with regards to history , geology and ecology youd find the Cairngorms anything but boring. I guess if your only interest is ticking off a list then thats up to you 😴😴😴

Wow that's a shockingly personal attack considering you don't know me and all I've done is given my personal opinion on a walk! If you took the time to read my other reports on the Cairngorms you'll see that I have enjoyed several walks in the area, just not this one. Ticking a list is far from my only interest, yet again if you'd bothered to read any of my other reports you'd know that.
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby J888ohn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm

Colin1951 wrote:Haven’t been on Bhreac or Chaoruinn yet but no way is Ben a’Bhuird boring, you’ve just approached it from the wrong side. And surely you enjoyed the navigational challenge anyway?
I suggest when you go in for Ben Avon, you take the detour back over Bhuird and down past Slugain Lodge. It takes forever but it’s a wonderful walk/cycle.

Hi Colin,

Yeah many people have told me it's better to approach it from that way. I've still to do Ben Avon so I look forward to doing it on a decent day and seeing the other side of Bhuird.

Cheers,

John.
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Postby J888ohn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:21 pm

Butterscotch wrote:Very helpful account - I’m hoping to take my bike and get these 3 ticked off in one day too 😊

You'll be thankful for the bike on the way out! It's a really nice cycle in and out, good trails and fairly easy going.
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Postby Kinshusrst Kid » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:22 pm

There are no boring mountains or hills in the Cairngorms. Perspective is everything .Time changes perspective. The arrogance of one's youth is soon diminished. However, what we each seek in the mountains will always be different to that sought by others.
Kinshusrst Kid

Postby Kinshusrst Kid » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 pm

Oh I forgot !. Why use a bicycle? These mountains should be savoured. Walk em!
Kinshusrst Kid

Postby J888ohn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 pm

Kinshusrst Kid wrote:Oh I forgot !. Why use a bicycle? These mountains should be savoured. Walk em!

I did walk them. Only used the bike to cycle through the glen, as many people do judging by the bike park at the river.
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Postby 9queens » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:54 am

Boring hills
Can't recall the name but the 1st Munro west of Balnasporran Cottage was a horrorshow. Fortunately the walk thereafter was highly enjoyable.
Other than that I'd go back to any of the hills I've done as long as I can choose the route on some
e.g. Bienn Fionliadth by it's southern flank or Ben Ime via Abyssinia
9queens
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:54
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby gaffr » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Must have missed this report from several years ago and has been raised again. It looks as if the gentleman Posting has a liking for doing long distance over several Hills during his days out ..ok that is his choice as it is his choice to do ticking off hills as he gets out just as it is the choice of another to give the hills a number in the order that he does his ticking off. Anyway the hills for me are more than this simplistic way of 'netting them' to tick them off on a list.
The area in question in the report, for me, has given a couple of days out spending one overnight in a tent and another in a wee howff prior to getting to the Munros via an interesting wee classic Polypody Groove and spoiled for pleasure on the other Munro with both Mitre Ridge and Squareface to enjoy and afterwards who cannot be drawn to the summit Tors.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:51 pm

I don't see why describing certain hills as boring is seen as such sacrilege tbh. There are many hundreds of hills in Scotland, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a portion of them will be unexciting.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland