walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuillin's. Sgurr a' Mhadaidh. Ghreadaidh and Banachdich

Cuillin's. Sgurr a' Mhadaidh. Ghreadaidh and Banachdich

Postby David Lyall » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 23/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked at the Glen Brittle Youth Hostile at about 9.30. After the atrocious weather of the day before it was good to get it dry although a bit of cloudy and windy. John and I headed up the path Alit a’ Choire Ghreadaidh we followed the path up but did not cross on to the left bank due to the amount of water in the burn, headed up towards An Dorus but went to the left before reaching it and made for the top of Sgurr a’ Mhadaidh. Great to get to my first top in the Cuillin’s.
Skye 2010 043.jpg
Me at the top Sgurr a' Mhadaidh, not much room on this top.
Wind and cloud were coming and going but there was enough visibility to see most of the tops and Loch Coruisk and out to sea. John lead the way back to An Dorus and on to Sgurr a’ Ghreadaidh, really glad one of us knows what he’s doing,
Skye 2010 046.jpg
On the ridge between Mhadaidh and Ghreadaidh, John with views of Loch Coruisk and the sea Loch Scavaig
would not have wanted to be up there on my own. After a bite to eat it was on to Sgurr na Banachdich.
Skye 2010 067.jpg
John and me at the top of Banachdich
We had good views along the ridge but they would have to wait for another day as we both had long drives home. We headed down buy Sgurr nan Gobhar an impressive ridge heading back towards the road, not so much fun getting off at the far end it was very steep. Found a set of car keys at the top which we were able to match to a car in the car park, hope the driver is not still up there trying to find them.
Great first day in the Cuillin’s hope the next time I go I have more time to enjoy them.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland