walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's brightening up - no seriously it is.

It's brightening up - no seriously it is.

Postby Briqual » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 18/06/2017

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for something not too stressful for this weekend so opted for the Geal Charn – A’Mharconaich walk at Drumochter. Weather was forecast as generally decent for the area with a slight risk of showers so I dutifully set the alarm for 0530 and got on my way at 0620. Temperature was 16 degrees and started to climb as I passed Perth and headed north, clear skies all the way until I was nearly there the clag became visible over the summits. Never mind, it’ll clear.

I reached Balsporran Cottages car park at 0730 to find, apart from a few camper vans with curtains drawn, I was the only car there – not another soul in sight. By the time I set off it was 0745 and the sun was shining, temperature back to 16 though. So off I set with a spring in my step looking forward to the days wandering.

1.JPG
Suspiciously missing summits - it'll clear

2.JPG
Clearing a bit now

3.JPG
I was being watched

4.JPG
Looking better now

5.JPG
Cairns - hold on, where's Geal Charn gone?

6.JPG
Eerie effect when this wee beastie was screaming out a warning in the mist

The climb up to Geal Charn isn’t particularly arduous, even for an unfit couch spud like me, but by the time I got there I was in clag, the wind was probably 25 MPH and I could see absolutely zero. I took up position in the shelter to have a drink of water and check my onward route, so I put my reading glasses on and noticed it started to become significantly brighter so decided to sit for 15 minutes or so to see if the clag would clear. Once I’d set my route and sat for the 15 minutes I changed glasses back to my usual ones. It was around now I realised that I’m a total idiot, it got brighter when I changed glasses because my normal ones are reactolite and my readers are plain glass – I got up and carried on as if nothing had happened. Given that I hadn’t seen another soul all the way up it probably didn’t really matter.

I descended no more than 50 metres and was out of the clag, at last some views, and crackers they were. It stayed pretty clear most of the rest of the way

8.JPG
Finally a view

9.JPG
And another

The walk down into the bealach then up the heathery slope to the approach to A’Mharconaich was an easy enough walk, as was the rest of the approach to the summit itself; once again though it was a bit claggy at the very summit. I again had a sit down in the shelter and had some food and a drink of water – this time I kept track of which pair of glasses I was using. If anyone had seen me being so OCD about this they might have phoned for MR to take me directly to the nearest institution for very special individuals; however there was nobody.

10.JPG
Looking back from the slope across Loch Ericht

I thought I’d get a photo of the Geal Charn summit on the descent as the clag cleared after about 30 metres this time of descent but the summit seemed determined to stay in clag until it cleared, quite literally, for about two minutes and I managed to get one.

11.JPG
Looking back at A'Mharoconaich

12.JPG
This was it, a short window but I got a picture

13.JPG
Train heading to Inverness

I got back to the car at 1220 and found that there were a few other cars there but not a single other person – I managed the whole walk without seeing a single, solitary soul. This is the first time this has happened to me and I think possibly added to my enjoyment in some strange way.

I’ll need to file this walk away with my pile of ones to do in better weather as I did feel slightly disappointed not getting good summit views.
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:173   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: It's brightening up - no seriously it is.

Postby Coop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Welcome to the lonesome walker who didn't see much of a view today club.
There's a fair few of us in it :D
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: It's brightening up - no seriously it is.

Postby Briqual » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Coop wrote:Welcome to the lonesome walker who didn't see much of a view today club.
There's a fair few of us in it :D

Thanks Coop, I'm proud of my membership of this not so exclusive club.
Briqual
Mountaineer

Munros:173   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland