walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A bittersweet wander along the lovely Fara

A bittersweet wander along the lovely Fara

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 pm

Route description: The Fara, Dalwhinnie

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 11/05/2017

Distance: 20 km

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We parked just before the level crossing in Dalwhinnie, which we crossed and followed the estate road towards Loch Ericht. Not far along we met a man and his dog. Nothing remarkable about that but the dog was a smallish black lab who approached us with tail wagging, the way Tess always did, and it was only two days after we'd had to say our final goodbye to her. As Moira said, I'm going to keep meeting black labs. But I guess it was just a bit soon not to be affected.

The road led first to a new gatehouse, built fairly recently by the Swiss estate owners, and then to the newly castellated estate house at An Tochailt.

IMG_2902-large.JPG

Soon after passing the estate house we left the track and headed up a grassy break through the plantation on our right. There was a fence to get through, with a gate on the left, and the area around the gate was muddy but apart from that the going was dry with a faint path through grass sprinkled with delicate wood anemones.

Flowers of the forest - wood anemones
IMG_2905-large.JPG

Climbing the fire break
IMG_2908-large.JPG

As we gained height the views to the east opened up but due to cloud and haze weren't that clear or extensive.

Meall Chuaich, other east Drumochter hills and Loch Ericht
IMG_2910-large.JPG

The gradient eased and we headed for the line of fence posts we could see which led to a section of peat hags that had us crossing the fence line a few times to avoid the worst of the wetness.

Fence posts approaching the summit
IMG_2914-large.JPG

After the peat hags the gradient steepened as we followed a drystone wall which culminated in a massive cairn built astride it at the highest point of The Fara.

Impressive Fara summit cairn
IMG_2915-large.JPG

From the summit we could see west to Creag Meagaidh and its distinctive window but the best views were south west towards Ben Alder, the direction we were going. The wind was quite strong so we didn't hang about and started walking in the direction of and past the rock tor which lies just beyond the summit.

It was on the easy walking along the windswept Fara I thought about Tess. She would have loved this walk. She loved those long treks in the hills we did, often with a rock in her mouth which I tried to discourage her from doing as it wore down her teeth. I thought about the day last September when the two of us went up The Storr on Skye. She was so good that day, ignoring the group of sheep that suddenly appeared beside us higher up, and staying close to me on the descent when we had to pick our way through crowds of visitors milling around the base of the Old Man.

I doubt I'll have a dog as good as she was on the hills again.

Tess
18402196_1416925948372522_879402400796698552_o-large.jpg

As we walked I kept seeing her there beside me. I guess that's what's meant by the mind's eye. The visual memory is so strong you can see something that's not there. It was more than a visual thing because I could feel her with me too. I suppose it's all part of the grieving process and on subsequent walks I've not felt her presence as strongly as I did that day.

View back to Fara summit from half way along
IMG_2929-largec.JPG

South west to Meall Cruadh
IMG_2932-largec.JPG

Loch Ericht
IMG_2931-largec.JPG

View back to Dalwhinnie
IMG_2935-large.JPG

View back along the ridge from Meall Cruaidh
IMG_2938-large.JPG

Meall Cruaidh summit
IMG_2939-largec.JPG

In my opinion the Meall Cruaidh summit gives better views than The Fara summit and makes extending the walk along the ridge entirely worthwhile. :D

Panorama south west showing Ben Alder and Laggan hills
IMG_2941_stitchc-large.jpg

IMG_2951-largec.JPG

Zoomed to remote Loch Pattack, Carn Dearg and Beinn a' Chlachair
IMG_2948-largec.JPG

Descent
IMG_2952-largec.JPG

On the descent we followed WH instructions and crossed the Allt Coire na Meine, aiming for the forestry fence where we were to cross a stile. The trouble was we couldn't see the stile we were meant to cross and the stile we could see wasn't the right one. I knew it wasn't the right one because getting to it meant recrossing the Allt Coire na Meine and WH wouldn't have told us to cross it higher up just to cross it again at this point. My walking buddy wasn't convinced and it would have been annoying to have walked on to find there was no other stile meaning we'd have to come back so we clambered down and up the steep sides of the burn and went over the stile we could see.

The wrong stile
IMG_2953-large.JPG

Once over that stile it meant crossing the burn for a third time and not much further along to the right we spotted the stile we should have crossed but which isn't visible from higher up. I mention this to alert others who might (like us) be confused by the apparent non appearance of the stile to be crossed. It's not the one you can see on the left side of the Allt Coire na Meine but is further along on the right. 8)

After the stile there were no further issues. A path between the fence and the plantation led to a broad gap in the plantation where there were deer grazing but which disappeared into the trees when they saw us.

Is that pointy bit Lancet Edge?
IMG_2959-largec.JPG

Ben Alder Lodge - which made me think of Sleeping Beauty
IMG_2961-large.JPG

When we reached the lochside we sat down for a fly cup before the 8.5km road walk back to Dalwhinnie.

Loch Ericht
IMG_2965-large.JPG

This was the least interesting part of the route but it was enlivened by wild flowers along the way - fox gloves, broom, primroses and violets at the side of the road.

Blooming broom by the winding road
IMG_2967-large.JPG

Primroses in profusion
IMG_2975-large.JPG

And a carpet of not so shrinking violets
IMG_2970-large.JPG

Once back at the car we headed for a hotel in Newtonmore which was jumping with a coach party from Lancashire. But that didn't affect the very tasty lasagne, garlic bread and salad we were served without any delay and accompanied by live music (bagpipes and guitar). It was a fitting end to a memorable day.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A bittersweet wander along the lovely Fara

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Drumochter hills in the afternoon sun
IMG_2979-large.JPG

Not far now to Dalwhinnie
IMG_2981-large.JPG

Looking back towards Ben Alder Lodge
IMG_2901-large.JPG
dogplodder

Postby mmill » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks for doing this report. We are hoping to do this when we are free on a day with good weather. I wondered what would be your opinion of rather than dropping down onto the estate road, turning round at Meall Cruaidh and heading back along the ridge and retracing the outward route? To save having to walk along the estate road.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:53 pm

mmill wrote:Thanks for doing this report. We are hoping to do this when we are free on a day with good weather. I wondered what would be your opinion of rather than dropping down onto the estate road, turning round at Meall Cruaidh and heading back along the ridge and retracing the outward route? To save having to walk along the estate road.

Yes, that's an option and would be easier on the feet as it avoids the road walk at the end. I think the main reason I wouldn't have done that is wanting to see the lodge and an end of the loch I'd not been to. If I'd been along the road before I might have done what you suggest. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby da wanderer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 pm

i'm so sorry for your loss, she looks beautiful, and one very lucky doggy to be out on walks like that, we are just starting to walk in places other than woodlands and our shep is loving it, your pics are so lovely i'm sticking this one on our to do list, cant wait :-)
da wanderer
Hill Bagger

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Nice report . The Fara is one of the easiest Corbetts - you start quite hgh - but has potentially wonderful views of all the big groups of hills of the central highlands. When I did it, the weather was poor, and I was put off the ridge walk you did by the thought of the dismal trudge back beside the loch. I did that once to do Ben Alder and thought then that once was enough. Not sure why - there aren't many highland walks I don't enjoy.
Sympathise with the loss of Tess. I was distraught when our much loved Lassie dog (70 odd Munros) got some ghastly tumour on his tongue and had to be put down. He used to go quite bananas when the walking boots appeared - charging round the car - to make sure he wasn't being left behind - before settleing quietly in the boot
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Looks a splendid walk for a clear day - your photos make it very appealing, I think I might prefer to come back the high route though. I love the thought of the spirit of Tess padding along with you :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:39 am

Lump in throat time!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

da wanderer wrote:i'm so sorry for your loss, she looks beautiful, and one very lucky doggy to be out on walks like that, we are just starting to walk in places other than woodlands and our shep is loving it, your pics are so lovely i'm sticking this one on our to do list, cant wait :-)

Hope you and Shep enjoy it. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby desmondo1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Sad but excellent report. I have this planned for late Sept and hope at least I get your weather. I have been thinking about the return and pretty sure now I will walk back the ridge.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:46 pm

past my sell by date wrote: Sympathise with the loss of Tess. I was distraught when our much loved Lassie dog (70 odd Munros) got some ghastly tumour on his tongue and had to be put down. He used to go quite bananas when the walking boots appeared - charging round the car - to make sure he wasn't being left behind - before settleing quietly in the boot

The strange thing is Tess was never on The Fara but now I can't drive past it without thinking of her.
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Looks a splendid walk for a clear day - your photos make it very appealing, I think I might prefer to come back the high route though. I love the thought of the spirit of Tess padding along with you :D :D

Biggles and Bertie would like this one - I can see them quartering every inch of the ridge and then some! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Graeme D wrote:Lump in throat time!

In your case easy to know why that is. :)
dogplodder

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland