walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Journey's End

Another Journey's End

by Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Craignaw, Lamachan Hill, Mullwharchar

Donalds included on this walk: Craignaw, Curleywee, Dungeon Hill, Lamachan Hill, Larg Hill, Mullwharchar

Date walked: 20/06/2017

Time taken: 15 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 2400m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Another Journey's End

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Borderhugh wrote:Well done Martin. :clap: Looks like there are some great hills down there. Will take note of your forest experiences.

Thanks Hugh, the Borders are very under estimated and great fun.

PeteR wrote:Martin, I've been meaning to add my congratulations to you here too. Well done :clap: The Donalds are a fine group of hills and you certainly chose some more challenging ones for your final two trips. So glad you had fine weather for both days and were able to enjoy the experience :D

Thanks Pete, I suffered on the final day purely because of the heat :lol:

simon-b wrote:Congratulations, Martin, and a fitting tribute to your mother.

Thanks Simon.

GillSte wrote:Well done Martin, and a great report! Tough hills, especially in the summertime, but really good. I've taken to visiting in the winter when the vegetables are less triffid like :shock:

Thanks Gill, I will be heading south again over the colder months,

inca wrote:Firstly, congratulations on finishing your Donalds round. That's a tough little collection to wrap it up on :clap: :clap:
Secondly, I was interested in the dedication at the end of your trip report. It struck a chord. I lost my father to cancer in 2012. He was my best friend as well as my Dad. Don't mind admitting my world fell apart for several months afterwards.
Some time in late 2013, I hatched a plan to tackle the Donalds. Think I'd only done 4 or 5 at the time. There was a compelling and simple case for the rest - his first name was Donald. It all seemed perfectly sensible :lol:
Curious thing is it worked. I finished my round in 2015. My final hill was one listed in this report. The Donalds offered a solitude (mostly) that gave me time and space to think. To make sense of loss and and find some equanimity with what life left behind.
The Donalds? Back of the class hills in relative terms I suppose. But they'll always be special to me. And doubtless for you too now. What's in a name eh? Probably more than Percy Donald could ever have known.

Thanks very much for your input, you are spot on about solitude, you rarely see anyone - not that I was complaining.

kiltedbiggles wrote:Just getting around to reading this now Martin......worth the wait!!!! :clap: :clap: Some fantastic photo's....especially good as I did most of these in the clag. It's quite hard to explain to people just how involved and exhausting Mullwarchar and co are. A massive congrats to you and very meaningful with the connection to your Mum. Bring on round 2!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Allan, no round 2 sorry, will revisit some of them - got plenty of other fish to fry so to speak.

rockhopper wrote:Missed this first time round. Congratulations :clap: A good set of hills down here on which to finish too - more rugged than many may expect - cheers :-)

Thanks RH, enjoy your final 2 and save Windy Gyle to the end - I enjoyed that walk, my first visit to the Pennine Way.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Congratulations Martin, especially as much of the terrain looked like a death trap! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Missed this at the time - congratulations :D . The list as a whole doesn't appeal to me, but the area you finished up in has many of the best Donalds in it. Enjoyed your last walk in particular - rough but almost as good as the Highlands :wink: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland