walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short afternoon on Meall an t-Slamain

A short afternoon on Meall an t-Slamain

Postby rob munbett » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall an t-Slamain

Date walked: 25/06/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 482m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Opening the curtains in our house in Glenfinnan revealed yet another day of wind and rain. There was an air of disappointment in the group as we had hoped for better. However, come the early afternoon, the skies cleared a bit and I decided to drive along the south side of Loch Eil to Achaphubuil to try a walk up this hill. I started by walking steeply up the track to the mast and trig point at 291m. Initially this track was fine underfoot but there is now a new argo track (shown as a path on OS maps) which is comprised of jagged red stone which has not yet bedded in - on the steeper sections it was rather unstable and on the descent, it was like scree. Anyway, after a bit of huff and puff, I reached the mast and looked over the rough terrain to the south west.
P1030676.JPG
The trig beside the mast looking up the broad ridge
The route was trackless and, after the continuous heavy rain, very boggy. Still, it was dry and bright by now and I started to enjoy the walk and the views.
P1030684.JPG
Looking along Loch Eil
However, there were many ups and downs and several high points which seemed as if they were going to be the summit but weren't and I started to enjoy the plod a bit less.
P1030683.JPG
Looking over to what I thought was the summit
P1030685.JPG
Finally, the real summit comes into view
Eventually, though, the final cairn was reached and I felt some satisfaction about getting myself out there despite the poor conditions.
P1030689.JPG
The summit cairn and The Ben
I descended to the car by the route of ascent.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland