walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A hopeful start

A hopeful start

Postby Driftwood » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:35 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Whitehope Heights

Date walked: 03/06/2017

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 580m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A quick leg-stretch after the long drive north from Norfolk. There was a fine, mild end to the afternoon and early evening around Moffat, which lasted for much of the walk. Some breeze developed and the sky clouded over, though it became no worse than that.

I parked in the wide area at the start of a gated track near to the Annandale Way footpath. There was one other car when I arrived, though I didn't meet anyone else out on the hill.
DSCF8060.jpg
Annandale Way

Birds were singing and it felt great to be out of the car after driving for most of the day, especially with bright sunlight slanting in from the west. I visited a trig point on the first top, then followed a wall / fence line and path for most of the route with slight diversions to tops such as Great Hill.
DSCF8068.jpg
Fenceline

Hart Fell looked good, but would have been a substantial further distance and climb, especially needing to get sorted for the night. I'm saving this, intending to walk it as part of the horseshoe of ridges from Moffatdale to the south. There is a stile, or its remains, from the path/track to the topmost lumps and cairn. But the wooden steps of the stile are cut through, as is the stock-netting wire fence beside.
DSCF8076.jpg
Whitehope Heights Stile

I was ambushed by midges on my return to the car, so quickly jumped in to change from boots to shoes and stow my pack.
DSCF8083.jpg
Evening cloud

Then I drove a modest distance further around past the Talla reservoir to Gameshope burn, in order to walk into the bothy (where I arrived at about 10 pm and discovered that I had the place to myself).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Re: A hopeful start

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Definitely the easy way out - when I did it I walked on over Hart Fell and Cape Law to Gameshope! Your version is probably more sensible...

Odd to see the stile like that - but it was an adventure in itself getting to the top of it.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 pm

I contemplated going through the dog door when I saw the height of the first step on that stile, but decided that it would be very embarrassing (not to say chilly) to have to shed my clothes if I got stuck
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Driftwood » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:50 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Definitely the easy way out - when I did it I walked on over Hart Fell and Cape Law to Gameshope! Your version is probably more sensible...

Odd to see the stile like that - but it was an adventure in itself getting to the top of it.

The Hart Fell / Blackhope circuit is another option that I've saved for another year. But I was passing this way, so Whitehope Heights looked a good evening leg-stretcher while saving the more substantial routes for when there was time. And, from the view across to Hart Fell, it looks like adding a lot of descent and re-ascent onto that "natural" circuit.

Having said which, I'm usually among the last people to pick a sensible option, so it was probably just limited time on that occasion.

As for the stile, I confess to climbing over it once (see above about not taking sensible options). Then noticed the cut wire and decided to slip through that.

Though maybe I should revisit this from Hart Fell, just to try option 3 and go through the dog hatch :roll:
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland