walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fiarach from Dalrigh

Fiarach from Dalrigh

Postby iainR » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Fiarach

Date walked: 28/06/2017

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 480m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast for the Tyndrum area wasn't great therefore i had planned a few hillwalking options depending on the cloud level when i reached there. On arrival i seen that all of the big summits were in cloud so i decided to add to my Graham tally with an ascent of Fiarach. I chose Fiarach as my small hill option mainly because i'd read previous WH reports describing great views despite its height.
From the car park at Dalrigh the route is straightforward enough with the bridge over the River Fillan giving access to the Gleann Auchreoch track. After about 2km a gate is reached and a left turn up the hillside following the fence line next to a forest plantation is the most direct route to the summit ridge. The going here is steep, very boggy and mostly pathless with the height gained not lessening the bog factor by much.

Path leading to Gleann Auchenreoch__.jpg
Gleann Auchenreoch track

Fiarach starts here__.jpg
The hillside access to Fiarach

Down the hillside__.jpg
View down the hillside

Eventually i reached the Lochan Fiarach and took in the views such as they were at that point with all of the Munros and Corbetts around Tyndrum in cloud but some were gradually improving including Ben Challum which i'd bagged only last month in much finer conditions.

Lochan Fiarach__.jpg
Lochan Fiarach

Ben Challum from Fiarach__.jpg
Ben Challum from Fiarach

The final push to the top of Fiarach was much easier and reminded me of walking in the Southern Uplands with regards to the fence line accompanying me all the way to the summit.

Final ascent to the summit__.jpg
Approaching the summit

Summit of Fiarach__.jpg
Summit of Fiarach

The summit view also took in the Crianlarich Munros which were similarly topped in cloud but to a lesser extent.
As usual the sun came out during the descent though the cloud still refused to shift from some of those big hills which was a real shame because the view from Fiarach on a clear day would be fanastic.

dolerite dyke on Fiarach__.jpg
Crag wall beneath the summit from the south

Towards Tyndrum__.jpg
Towards Tyndrum with clouds clearing
iainR
Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:28
Grahams:23   Donalds:59
Sub 2000:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland