walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe

Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby rockhopper » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 11/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 988m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I parked the car early in the car park just off the road south of Achadunan Brewery (watch if you have bikes on the car roof as there’s a horizontal pole across the entrance to stop high vehicles entering). I then cycled up the road and track until about a mile before Inverchorachan where there’s a gate and sign telling cyclists to go no further – the good thing is that there’s steel piping set into the ground just off the track where you can secure your bike.

1- bike sign.JPG

2 - bike park.JPG

From there I walked the track to Inverchorachan before starting up the hill. I wanted to do the same loop as described on walkhighlands which ascends on the south track up the side of the burn and returns down the more northerly side of the burn. The ascent track was very wet and boggy in places and needed some scrambling.

3 - waterfall on ascent.JPG

Nearing the top where the tracks join, the weather closed in, it started to rain, the mist came down and wind strengthened a lot – once again, a top with no views. :(

4 - bad weather on summit.JPG

5 - 'view' from summit.JPG

On the lower reaches of the descent there wasn’t really a track but the ground was fairly soft and not too difficult to walk on. The weather had cleared though so I could get some good views down the glen. Not many photos though because of the weather.

6 - south down Glen Fyne.JPG

7 - north up Glen Fyne.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby skuk007 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Remember doing this one after several hot days and it was still quite boggy even then. Good idea taking the bike, I didn't and my feet were pretty sore from the walk-in and walk-out.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks - next time I'm up this one the weather has to be guaranteed to be good as I couldn't see a thing for about the whole of the top half 8)
rockhopper

Postby JonnyMG » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:59 am

Hi rockhopper,

Great pics and info on the hike, planning on doing this one on Saturday with a few friends. Currently in debate about the best way to tackle it though. We very rarely take the bikes and are usually quite keen on just hiking however looking at the OS map and your comments I'm wondering if we should.

Would you recommend cycling for the start and end or do you think it would be just as enjoyable on foot the whole way?

Cheers

JonnyMG
JonnyMG
Munro compleatist

Munros:14   Corbetts:1

Postby smudger71 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 pm

shame about the3 views (lack of!! :( ) but thats scotland weather for ya...i was wondering whether it would be possible to cycle into Bhuidhe so your info is great...will bag this with my son early next year now!!! thanks

Have been eyeing up Ben Alder and the grey Corries and wondering how far it is possible to cycle down the access roads for those routes...not much info on here about that though? :?

Mark
smudger71
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   Corbetts:47
Fionas:24   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:11   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks

smudger71 - I have a gpx of my track but it's very similar to the one on walkhighlands so didn't post it; when I was there, there were two other cyclists; one left his bike beside mine but the other took his right up to Inverchorachan which isn't supposed to be done

JonnyMG - most of the way is on a surfaced singletrack road and it's only towards the latter part that you're on to a landrover track - the views are a bit limiting given you're in the valley so I'd tend to cycle it especially as it's a there and back and the loop is after you start walking up the hill - hope you have a good walk on Saturday
rockhopper

Postby JonnyMG » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Great stuff, think we'll take your advice and break out the bikes, should be good fun mixing the two. Just hoping the weather decides to change from what's forecast, looking a bit torrential just now. Will be great fun all the same though.

Appreciate the advice.

Cheers
JonnyMG
Munro compleatist

Munros:14   Corbetts:1

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Hope all goes well and you can see at the top. I'm taking a hill walking break tomorrow and we' re off first thing mountain biking to Glentress instead :D :D :D
rockhopper

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:00 am

Anyone done it from Glen Shira? I know it's a lot longer but, with a bike, looks a much simpler option - the other route looks complicated and not that pleasant for the kind of weather I have to navigate in (much like you had Rockhopper!)...
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland