walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Side Story.

West Side Story.

Postby mamoset » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlamain and Sgàirneach Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 26/06/2017

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having had a 2 month break (not by choice!!) from walking, I headed North intending to go round to Laggan to climb Creag Pitridh and co. but on arrival in Drumochter Pass, the cloud was quite low. I pulled into Balsporran Cottages for food and made a choice to complete the west side of Drumochter Munro's, having already climbed A' Mharconaich and Beinn Udlamain.
IMG_0742.JPG
A' Mharconaich & Geal-charn.
The cloud was lifting and falling at regular intervals, so I was hoping for it to eventually stay high. After following the hard track to it's end, there is then a slightly boggy path that leads to the crest where there is a set of cairns at @ 840m.
IMG_0747.JPG
Looking to the east side.
IMG_0752.JPG
A' Mharconaich & Beinn Udlamain.
Easy walking from here to reach the summit cairn.
IMG_0754.JPG
Geal-charn.
It started raining while I was here, so as I left the summit I decided to leave A' Mharconaich and head over to the other two instead.
IMG_0757.JPG
Gloomy Ben Alder Forest.
By the time I had crossed Coire Fhar and started heading back up hill, the rain stopped, cloud rose and it became quite warm, so it was an easy decision to go to A' Mharconaich after all :roll:
IMG_0768.JPG
A' Mharconaich.
With the bonus of the weather clearing nicely, I quickly made my way across the easy ground between A' Mharconaich & Beinn Udlamain.
IMG_0773.JPG
Sgairneach Mhor & Beinn Udlamain.
IMG_0778.JPG
Coire Creagach on Sgairneach Mhor.
IMG_0780.JPG
Geal-Charn & rainbow.
IMG_0784.JPG
Looking back to the first two Munro's.
IMG_0788.JPG
Distant Meall Chuaich.
IMG_0789.JPG
Beinn Udlamain.
Had a chat here with the only person I met all day, Ted, a sprightly pensioner, who had been on Ben Avon the previous day to finish all the Munro's East of the A9. He was doing the same tops as me, but in the other direction. The Ben Alder range was now catching sunlight and was looking grand.
IMG_0792.JPG
Beinn Bheoil & Ben Alder.
IMG_0793.JPG
Beinn Eibhinn to Geal-Charn.
It became really warm now, so after a food break, I followed the WH advice and made for Carn 'Ic Loumaidh before beginning the final ascent to Sgairneach Mhor.
IMG_0798.JPG
Looking to Sgairneach Mhor.
IMG_0801.JPG
Up Loch Ericht.
IMG_0804.JPG
Beinn Bheoil & Ben Alder.
IMG_0816.JPG
Looking West to Treig Munro's.
It's good to walk over such nice ground at times, and I was soon atop Sgairneach Mhor.
IMG_0826.JPG
Sgairneach Mhor.
From here, I made my way round the lip of Coire Creagach, before making a direct line down to the dolomite track in Coire Dhomhain that would eventually take me back to the start.
IMG_0830.JPG
A' Mharconaich & Boar of Badenoch.
IMG_0829.JPG
Coire Dhomhain
IMG_0831.JPG
Car is down there!!!!!
I would guess these hills aren't everyones cup of tea, but you do get a great feeling of isolation at times and the sheer bulk of these hills is impressive. I can imagine winter being a good time to bag these 4. Back at the car, I spotted Ted coming down the track, so being a Good Samaritan, I gave him a lift South to hi car, saving him an hours walking :clap: and good deed done, I headed home, 2 Munro's richer :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: West Side Story.

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:43 pm

mamoset wrote: I can imagine winter being a good time to bag these 4.

Quite a novelty to see photos of these without snow on them! Still a good round, though.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi simon, enjoyed it more than I thought I would :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby dav2930 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

The title had me intrigued mamoset :think:... then it all made sense! :lol:

Nice walking up there; so that's what the views look like!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:17   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 am

Hi dav, it would seem i was fortunate to have a decent view, though it didn't look that way as i set off!!! :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland