walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Experience & Novice

Experience & Novice

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:36 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 01/07/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 34 km

Ascent: 1085m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My daughter Gemma fancied a day out tackling a Munro or two, so I was determined to find something that she would enjoy.
Original plan was to head to Glencoe to climb Bidean but the forecast for the western hills was not exactly attractive, rain forecast from 1pm onwards. So back to the drawing board and look for somewhere in the east.
My first choice was Lochnagar but the 2hour plus drive each way would make it a very long day, so I opted for just south of Glenshee. I walked these hills over 15 years ago and remembered nothing at all about them, I am beginning to wonder if I was paying attention in my early Munro career :lol:
We left Fife at 6.30am and opted to park as per the WH route rather than pay £2.50 to park at Dalmunzie.
We set off just after 8am and the weather was perfect.
Everything was going well all the way to and up to the summit of Glas Tuliachean, on the descent Gemma was moaning about sore toes, feet, ankles etc. She was wearing new boots which is probably part of the problem.
With hindsight we should have just bagged the one and headed back the same way, but hindsight always wins.
The ascent of Carn an Righ was also a struggle for Gemma :lol:
The descent was even worse and from that moment onwards progress back to the car was painstakingly slow :(

Image Disused railway track

Image Easy crossing

Image Lunchtime view

Image Carn an Righ

Image Initial descent

Image Struggle begins

Image The way back to the car

Image New descent technique which probably won't catch on

Image Way down

Phone photo's from now on.

Image Where the old footbridge used to be

Gemma now has rather sore legs, which is very normal for a novice and is off on holiday tomorrow to Crete :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland