walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Losing my Mind - A Tale of Two Summits!

Losing my Mind - A Tale of Two Summits!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 05/05/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Eventually getting around to posting some walk reports from previous trips...:roll:

During our summer, that 1st week in May, I had taken 10 work colleagues over to Arran to climb Goatfell. It was a smashing hot day and everyone enjoyed it, although some finding it tough going in the heat. I now wanted some solo action so chose a route I'd never done before, the Walkhighlands route of the Big Bookil :)

I had previously conquered the Big Bookil via the Curved Ridge Route. So now it was time for the popular route up the
Coire na Tulaich - which at weekends is said to be like Suachiehall Street :shock: Thankfully it was Friday :lol:

Ridge view

Blue skies at the start :D

CIC Hut & Wee Bookil.

Straight up you go...

I absolutely loved heading up the coire, the rock formations and views superb. It was really hot, the sweat was extreme! But I was soon standing on the ridge proper, after navigating a very steep scree section. I headed East through the boulder field and reached the first summit - Stob Dearg.

Wonderful views all around...

At this point I'd only met a few folk, the mountain was quiet 8) I decided I would find a nice spot and sunbathe for an hour. I dropped 20m South from the summit - bliss :D Spot the fire in Glen Etive :shock:

After an hour, and feeling happy with myself, I got ready and set forth for the second summit of Stob na Broige :D

When back down at the bealach I realized the heat had made me forgetful, my camera case was gone...must be back on the summit. I reascended Stob Dearg but my case was nowhere to be seen. Someone must've picked it up, and they probably didn't see my sunbathing in my secluded little spot :roll:

I seen people in the distance so made my way back down and caught them just after the bealach. They informed me they had found it but given it to two folk earlier who where now along the ridge. I started running along the ridge and caught up with the couple at Feadan Ban. "We left your case back at the bealach, on top of the cairn" :shock:

So with this new information I dithed the rucksack and ran all the way back to the bealach. Found the case, with spare battery and wi fi sd card :thumbup: I then ran back up the ridge to Feadan Ban. I was feeling slightly knackered so took a break before heading to my second summit.

Looking back.

Fully recovered I was on my way again and soon reached the summit of Stob na Broige. This provided tremendous views down Loch Etive. A nice spot for more sunbathing I thought, so it was taps aff time :lol:

Lay here for an hour before making my way to the bealach and then down the steep North face to the glen. I enjoyed a leisurely walk out, my mind just about functioning at a satisfactory level 8) Took one last glance towards the Big Bookil...

Really enjoyed this popular walk. Definitely do it again, midweek off course :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Losing my Mind - A Tale of Two Summits!

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:25 pm

I'd planned to do this with friends last Thursday but pulled the plug with the dismal forecast and hope to get a day more like you had please! 8)

Glad you found your camera case.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Losing my Mind - A Tale of Two Summits!

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:37 pm

A nice walk, DB. The whole ridge is really good. You had less snow there in early May than I did in late June 2015.

I was on Arran about two weeks after you and climbed Goat Fell with friends too. But the quickest ascent was made by one of my friends who jumped on a chair when we got a "moose in the hoose".
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland