walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Skene Via Grey Mare`s Tail

Loch Skene Via Grey Mare`s Tail

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:04 pm

Route description: Grey Mare's Tail and Loch Skeen

Date walked: 18/06/2017

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 470m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a night attending a wedding reception in Moffat with my wife , I thought it only fair to get a wee hill day in while we were there.
With still a bit of a hangover we drove down towards The Grey Mare`s tail beside White Coomb.

The drive down the A708 was stunning as the sun slowly burned away the low cloud letting us see right down the lush green valley.
Fortunately it was very sunny and warm because the idea was I skipped up to Loch Skene while she sunbathed.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

moffat 090wh.jpg
White Mare`s Tail Waterfall

We parked in the large car park, there was more than a few cars there and families were setting up picnics by the river.
The initial climb up is steep but stepped and then takes you gradually uphill at an easy gradient.

This place is famous for Peregrine Falcons and I saw what looked like it may be one way up high riding the thermals.
moffat 098wh.jpg
goats

I passed by a herd of goats chilling in the grass.

A series of lovely waterfalls follow after the main big one as you carry on along the path.
moffat 102wh.jpg
looking back

moffat 114wh.jpg
lush

I passed White Coomb on my left , and it looks like there is a wall that runs from the river right up to the top of the hill ?
moffat 127wh.jpg
White Coomb

moffat 133wh.jpg
pool

It wasn`t too long, about 45-1hour mins i think, before i reached Loch Skene and it just knocked me out !
Absolutely stunning.
There were people dotted all along it`s shore , taking up the best perches.
I got myself a wee spot and ate my lunch , taking it all in.
moffat 136wh.jpg
Loch Skene

I then decided that i would climb the hill overlooking the loch, Mid Craig.
Once about two thirds up , I remembered i told my wife I would be 1.5 hours max :lol: :lol:
It was now bout that time.
I had a look around and gave her a phone, she was alright , still enjoying the sun.
I had the perfect view of the loch from here and noticed a large bird, later confirmed as an Osprey by a couple of twitchers I met later on.
moffat 150wh.jpg
looking down on the loch

I had a wee jog back down and was bursting to jump in the loch, but settled for a paddle instead.
moffat 159wh.jpg
clear water

After a chat with a guy by the loch , i jogged back towards the car, only stopping to chat to the aforementioned twitchers who were now looking up at peregrines on a cliff. They very kindly offered me a look through their binoculars but I couldn`t see anything.
I carried on back to the car and felt magic, hangover well and truly gone !
A great wee walk which I will definetly go back to when doing Corbetts around the area.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland