walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The mossy mountain

The mossy mountain

Postby Bean » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee jaunt up Ben Chonzie had been on the cards for a while. Finally the time came, my sister, dad and I were all free for a hill and the sun was shining, we planted the idea at 10pm and were meeting by the golden grouse at 9am the next morning.

We choose to tackle the hill from Glen Turret as it looked like a beautiful way in. Just out of the car park we came across loads of frog spawn in the puddles. Here are two fresh faced hatchlings. :lol:

IMG_9294.JPG
Dad and bon at start

IMG_9369.JPG
Views of Loch Turret

IMG_9296.JPG
Past the reservoir and looking at the top of glen turret

Shortly after this photo was taken we struck left off the path and fought our way up the slopes of heather and moss, shown below.

IMG_9302.JPG
View up hill

As we made progress up the slopes dad was teaching us about the different moss types - I think the star moss is my favourite. We were interested to learn from walkhighlands that Ben Chonzie in Gaelic means - the mossy mountain!

IMG_9306.JPG
Star moss

Having reached the lower aspect of the broad ridge we found ourselves joining a rough sheep track for a while and then plodded on over uneven peat bogs towards the summit which could now be seen easily.

IMG_9310.JPG
Dad and bon on the broad ridge

Once up higher the ridge the ground underfoot was a lot drier, rocky and easier going. Having not yet encountered another person here we met crowds of walkers coming up from the other side which I believe is an easier way up.

IMG_9311.JPG
Walking towards the summit

Up on top we were very lucky with the views.

IMG_9313.JPG

IMG_9349.JPG

IMG_9367.JPG

IMG_9371.JPG

We descended the same way but intead of making a bee line straight across the boggy plateau we stuck up high on the ridge and then cut down. This particular family combination trio was a first for us, but made for excellent companionship! Thanks doob and bon :clap:
Bean
Wanderer

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland