walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Made a Meall outa me !

Made a Meall outa me !

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:02 am

Route description: Stob Coir'an Albannaich and Meall nan Eun

Date walked: 12/02/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A tough day out in Glen Etive, Glen Ceitlein, with no red baloon popped for me.
It all started so well as well. I was up early and drove into Paisley to meet up with the rest of the gang, Jim, Tommy,Martyn, Craig and Ollie (Tommy`s dog).
Daylight was breaking as we drove towards the A82 and the sky was a nice clear blue with little wisps of white cloud dotted around. Looking much better than predicted.
We were headed for Meall nan Eun, the last Munro of a five in a day hit from Ben Starav, Jim and I attempted a few years ago. It had been too long a day and too hot then, so Jim suggested we go for a nice leisurely stroll this time and bag this one on it`s own.
16601924_1373450389344258_6645523272533651771_o.jpg
Martyn & Tommy lock horns

DSC_0184.JPG
A great day beckons

DSC_0188.JPG
Starav

We made our way into Glen Ceitlein and were already chopping and changing gear to suit the cold biting wind on hands and ears but trying to strike a balance with overheating in the upper body areas. Martyn couldn`t decide which designer jacket to wear, so he brought two of them. 8)
16587114_1373450532677577_6273604253816475094_o.jpg
Meall nan Euan ahead

16681557_1373451652677465_451524357105304394_n.jpg
ollie

We got to the base of the hill and as we started to gain height we also inevitably hit the snowline. Ollie was loving it , rolling about in the snow until it started to get deeper.
16665811_1373451486010815_3448388375467837422_o.jpg
Snow problem

Then it started to ball in his hair and he was no longer able to jump out of the snow. The wind was picking up too and it was beginning to get too much for the wee guy.
Tommy wanted to head back but I said me and him should shelter with Ollie, let the other three summit and then when they came down we could go up.

DSC_0209.JPG
Tommy and Ollie shelter from the wind

We dug out a wee shelter in a dip in the snow but Ollie was shivering badly and we were far further away from the summit than I first thought so he decided to about turn and take him out of the snow and back into the sunnier slopes below.
I set off to catch up with the others , but the knee deep snow made it hard to get any speed. I couldn`t see them ahead of me and the wind was picking up snow and battering it into my face . It was head down and march on.
I couldn`t find footprints and the places were the snow wasn`t deep was being polished up by the icy wind making it like sheer ice.
I donned my crampons and crept on up the hill. Watching for the spindrift ahead as the gales blew it over the Lairig Dhochard , the bealach between Meall Odhar & Eun. When I saw it coming I had to hit the deck to avoid the icy blast to my face.
It was actually quite a "fun" experience and I viewed it as a test of character to keep going . :?
I was now approaching the rockier sections of the climb up the face of Euan . This sheltered me somewhat from the wind. And I could see Jim, Martyn & Craig up above me now. I tried shouting on them but to no avail. If the wind was bad further down then it must have been hellish as the were gaining height and exposure.
Route finding was difficult. And it was beginning to get dangerous. I was hitting more icy patches and one of my crampons kept coming loose.
It was time to turn back.

I picked my way down carefully as it was even more difficult than it was getting up.
Once i was on safe ground i decide that I would try to make it over the bealach to have a look aver the other side whilst waiting for them to come back down safe.
But the wind at this section was too strong and the underlying conditions were getting worse.
So I turned around again and made my way back down.
Which wasn`t the easiest of things to do with one crampon !
I resorted to bum slides when I could and then when I dipped below the wind I sat on a rock in the sun waiting for them to return.
It wasn`t long before I saw them and eventually we walked back to get Tommy & Ollie who would have been sitting in the car ....if Jim didn`t have the key in his pocket :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Made a Meall outa me !

Postby jogilv16 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:00 pm

the hills not going anywhere ,you get it 3rd time lucky.....
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland