walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby benloyal » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 03/07/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1345m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were three older ladies who like walking and decided to try Ben Nevis . We stayed in the bunk house the night before and started the walk about nine on the Monday morning as weather looked promising. We had only done one or two small hills before that but really enjoyed them. Well, I would really recommend this walk to anyone reasonably fit as what a brilliant walk it was. Ok , so huffed and puffed a fair bit going up but boy was it worth it when you got to the summit. Great track going up and we really have to give credit to the people responsible for all the fantastic work they do on the track. Shame some people are so irresponsible with their rubbish, surely it's not too much effort to take down their empty bottles etc. Shame that someone else has to pick up behind them. We ate at the bunkhouse inn. Food really fantastic and staff really helpful. We really loved the whole experience and will maybe be back next year. Special thanks to all the great work to everyone who makes this such a lovely experience.
Thank you.
benloyal
Walker

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby Coop » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:18 pm

To the Golden Girls - a salute :clap:

Think I'll be going up a wee hill in the trossachs tomorrow (I'll see what the weathers as I drive towards Crianlarich) and I know I'll huff and puff for a wee bit till I sort out my breathing and walking pattern.
Enjoy and maybe see you on one of our great hills or routes
Coop
Walker

Munros:259   Corbetts:92
Grahams:29   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby Andymac75 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:03 am

Well done :clap:

Ben Nevis is a hard slog.and ticking it of the list is a great achievement.

first time I went up ,I wondered if the zigzag path was ever going to end. :cry:

I'm going up yet again tomorrow(6th time this year) :shock:

There is a lot of great work being done to the path .i can't remember where they were, but 'they' seem to have done away with some of the bridges on the lower half .and each time there seems to be new stretch of granite steps.

And there's the lovely new bridge at the visitor centre.which has replaced the nice bridge I used to get seasick on.
Andymac75

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland